- 50 minutes (Approx.)
- Mobile ticket
THE COOLEST EXPERIENCE EVER! That’s what many of our guests say after taking a ride in our Hughes 500 Helicopter Without Doors over one of the Most Active Volcanoes in the World! Find out for yourself why the Travel Channel calls this the “hottest helicopter ride on Earth!” After over 35 years of activity, be one of the first to discover out what Kīlauea Volcano has left in the wake of its recent historic eruptive episode. Witness otherworldly landscapes like the incredible 8-mile river of frozen lava from Fissure 8 to the Pacific Ocean, the newest black sand beaches on earth and enormous craters created by these recent events!
Along the way, view Mauna Loa’s vistas, the beauty of lush Puna rainforests and mesmerizing Hilo waterfalls. With no windows to shoot through, there is no better way for you to share crystal clear photos and video of your experience than flying one of our Doors-off tours!
- Enjoy fantastic aerial views
- Qualified and professional pilot
- Two-way headset communication with your pilot
- Live commentary on board
2450 Kekuanaoa St, Hilo, HI 96720, USA
We have multiple departure times to suit your sightseeing schedule.Check-in: 1 hour prior to flight
Returns to original departure point
This 40-minute Big Island helicopter ride meets at Hilo Heliport located at Hilo Airport 45 minutes before your flight time. Three different flight times are offered for your convenience — choose the one that best suits your plans. Please note this helicopter is open-door, meaning there’s nothing between you and the amazing Hawaiian sights.
Take off from Hilo International Airport in a four-passenger Hughes 500 Helicopter, and spend almost an hour flying over this beautiful island. Soar above an active Hawaiian volcano. Get up close and personal with volcanic lava with nothing between you but air. This once-in-a-lifetime experience gets you as close as you'll ever want to be to a natural wonder so powerful and mighty.
In addition to the volcano, fly over waterfalls and tropical rainforests. Listen to expert narration from your professional pilot on your two-way headset, and see great views of historic downtown Hilo on your return flight to the airport.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 7 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Due to safety concerns, customers are not allowed to bring any personal items on the flight
- Due to weather, flights may be 100 to 120 minutes in length
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Wheelchair accessible - if assistance is required, passenger must provide their own caregiver
- Capacity Surcharge: All guests weighing between 265 and 315 lbs will be assessed a Capacity Surcharge of $50. The guest will be guaranteed a window seat.
- Guests weighing above 315 lbs. at check-in will be charged for an extra seat for weight and balance purposes. The rate of the extra seat will be determined by the specific tour that they are booked on. This cost is calculated by adding an additional seat to the one that has already been purchased.
- All pilots and aircraft are FAA-certified
- Helicopter holds 6 passengers; larger groups may be separated
- For a guaranteed window seat, make sure to upgrade to the window seating option
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.