- 4 hours (Approx.)
- Mobile ticket
Each year approximately 20,000 gray whales migrate from the Bering Sea to the lagoons of Baja California and back again. Come witness this amazing journey off the coast of San Diego on this educational whale watching excursion.
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- Ideal choice for families
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- See native wildlife in their natural environment
- Guided by friendly marine experts from Birch Aquarium at Scripps
- Coupons to Birch Aquarium.
- We suggest dressing in layers. The temperature and winds can be unpredictable even if it's sunny out.
- warm clothing
- medication - If you may be prone to seasickness, plan ahead. Medication only works when taken BEFORE boarding the vessel. Wristbands for motion sickness also can be effective. Either can be purchased at any drug store.
990 N Harbor Dr, San Diego, CA 92101, USA
Returns to original departure point
This is an adventure that will create thrilling memories your whole family will never forget. The 3.5-hour excursion departs twice daily aboard a comfortable, two-story whale watching yacht.
The whale watching yacht features 360-degree views from the main level and upper sundeck, an onboard snack bar, multiple restrooms and free guest WiFi. The tours are guided by friendly marine experts from Birch Aquarium at Scripps. You'll get a deeper understanding of the ocean ecosystem and real-time commentary on the sights and sea creatures unique to your cruise. You'll also receive coupons to Birch Aquarium.
Each whale watching excursion is slightly unique. This excursion follows the whales' migration path to bring you up close for the best sighting spots, which change every day. In the beginning of the season, the southbound whales swim closer to the coast, so the maximum distance is about 3-5 miles. Toward the end of the season, when the northbound whales swim further out, we can cruise up to 9-12 miles off the coast.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Chances of spotting a whale are exactly the same, whether you choose the morning or afternoon departure. Whales don't wear watches.
- Same goes for the days of the week. Each day has an equal chance of sightings. Whales do not have calendars.
- In the unlikely event that your departure is cancelled due to poor weather conditions, we do our best to contact you in the morning at the phone number you provide. We will reschedule your tour for another day if you like or provide you with a full refund—your choice.
- Guests with wheelchairs can access the vessel and interior main deck. However, the exterior top deck and the restrooms are not ramp accessible.
- No touching the whales. No feeding the whales. No petting the whales. This is whale watching. We watch with our eyes.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.