- 1 hour (Approx.)
- Mobile ticket
This mule-drawn carriage tour is as iconic to New Orleans as a steamboat ride or a plate of beignets! If you are looking for a fantastic way to explore the French Quarter and learn about the fascinating history of this unique city, an authentic mule-drawn carriage tour is guaranteed to be the highlight of your trip!
On this tour, you'll enjoy a shared carriage ride on one of our larger group carriages. Our top-rated tour guides double as skilled carriage drivers. With the assistance of their trusted mule, you'll cover way more ground than any 2-hour walking tour and see as much of the French Quarter as possible in just 1-hour. Instead of a boring history lecture, carriage drivers create fun fact-filled engaging tours for all to enjoy. You'll see landmarks such as St. Louis Cathedral, Jackson Square, The French Market, and so much more! With so much to see and do, make sure that a carriage ride is on your list!
- Comprehensive tour of the city
- Fully narrated tour
- Ideal choice for families
- 1-hour mule-drawn carriage ride on a 6-8 passenger carriage
- Fully narrated history tour
- Professional Licensed Tour Guide
- Round Trip
- Small Group Walking Tour inside Cemetery, as part of 1-hour tour
- Entry/Admission - St. Louis Cemetery No. 1
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
700 Decatur St, New Orleans, LA 70116, USA
Returns to original departure point
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: French Quarter, New Orleans, LA
All aboard! All group carriage tours board at the carriage stand located at 700 Decatur Street. All tour participants must check in with a Royal Carriages Representative at least 5 mins prior to your reservation time. He or she can be found near the beginning of the line of carriages under the red umbrella wearing a bright red company shirt. Boarding for all group carriage tours may take up to 15 mins.
Duration: 15 minutes
Pass By: Jackson Square, 615 Pere Antoine Alley, New Orleans, LA 70116-3234
Let's ride! As your carriage departs from Jackson Square, your driver/guide will regale you with stories of the city's founding as the carriage passes through the historic French Quarter streets, past landmarks such as Saint Louis Cathedral, Jackson Square, Napoleon House, and more. Expect stories that are both historical, entertaining and appropriate for all visitors.
Pass By: St. Louis Cathedral, 615 Pere Antoine Aly, New Orleans, LA 70116-3291
Your carriage passes through the historic French Quarter streets, past landmarks such as Saint Louis Cathedral.
Stop At: St. Louis Cemetery No. 1, 425 Basin St 3421 Esplanade Ave, New Orleans, LA 70112-3535
Optional Cemetery Tour! Carriage Tours booked between the hours of 10:00 am - 2:00 pm include a visit to Saint Louis Cemetery #1. After a 1-mile carriage ride, your carriage will park outside of the gates of Saint Louis Cemetery No. 1. You'll disembark the carriage and follow your driver/guide on a 15 to 20-minute walking tour of the cemetery where you'll discover why New Orleans uses above ground burials. The most famous burial in all of New Orleans is where the Voodoo Queen, Marie Laveau, was laid to rest. Your carriage driver will show you this sought-after tomb and explain to you the story of Marie Laveau, in addition to answering questions you may have about the religion of Voodoo.
Duration: 15 minutes
Pass By: Royal Carriages, 700 Decatur St, New Orleans, LA 70116-3372
Royal Carriages is the tour operator.
Stop At: Faubourg Marigny, New Orleans, LA
Optional Neighborhood Tour! While Carriage Tours booked after 2:00pm do not include a visit to the cemetery, they do include a visit to a second historic neighborhood known as the Faubourg Marigny. This route gives visitors an opportunity to see more of New Orleans. This Creole Neighborhood, adored by lovers of architecture, is known for its colorful bohemian Creole Cottages, Shotgun Homes, and the Grand Mansions of Esplanade Avenue.
Duration: 15 minutes
Pass By: Frenchmen Street, New Orleans, LA 70116
Included in the neighborhood tour. This route also features Frenchmen Street, which is "where to locals go" for live jazz and more.
Pass By: French Market, 1008 N Peters St, New Orleans, LA 70116-3406
Tour passes by this historic market within the French Quarter.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- All tour participants must arrive 15 minutes early to the boarding location. Late arrivals will miss the tour and not be provided with a second opportunity to ride or a refund.
- Limited mobility, please advise at time of booking if assistance is required
- Carriages are able to visit Saint Louis Cemetery #1 on all reservations booked between 9:00 am - 2:00 pm, with the exceptions of holidays and unannounced funerals. If a funeral is announced, the cemetery portion of the tour is replaced with the Creole Neighborhood known as the Faubourg Marigny.
- The cemetery has lots of uneven and muddy surfaces that are not suitable for wheelchairs, strollers, or walkers.
- Royal Carriages cannot control the hours of operation of the cemetery, and will not issue any refunds to customers if the cemetery has an unexpected closure.
- All carriage tours booked after 2:00 pm include a tour of the Creole Neighborhood known as the Faubourg Marigny, and do not include a tour of Saint Louis Cemetery No. 1.
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.