- 2 hours (Approx.)
- Mobile ticket
The only tour with free shuttle to and from Cemetery #1. Follow the ghosts of the numerous characters of New Orleans' mysterious past! Tour one of the city’s most haunted cemeteries, St Louis Cemetery No. 1 and visit the tomb of the Voodoo Queen of New Orleans, Marie Laveau. Your guide will explain the unique above-ground burial custom and will give you an in-depth overview of the fascinating evolution of voodoo.
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- Pickup from a centrally located meeting point
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Local guide
- Authentic souvenir gris-gris bag!
- Entry/Admission - St. Louis Cemetery No. 1
Gray Line New Orleans, 400 Toulouse St, New Orleans, LA 70130, USA
Returns to original departure point
November to February: Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Saturday
March to October: Daily
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: St. Louis Cemetery No. 1, 425 Basin St 3421 Esplanade Ave, New Orleans, LA 70112-3535
Haunting adventures await you during this cemetery and voodoo walking tour through New Orleans. Follow your guide through St Louis Cemetery No. 1, the oldest and most famous of the three St Louis cemeteries. You may recall it as the site from the classic movie Easy Rider or perhaps by its most notorious 'resident' Marie Laveau, the late Voodoo Queen of New Orleans.
Your professional guide will recount the background of both the famous and infamous people who are buried there. You can make a wish or, if you dare, cast a spell at the tomb of Marie Laveau. Hear spooky stories of how this voodoo master was able to be in two places at once. You'll also learn about New Orleans’ unique above-ground burial custom and hear various society tombs--grand mausoleums built to entomb and commemorate members of professional, benevolent, and ethnic organizations. These macabre monuments include the Italian Mutual Benevolent Society tomb which provided the eerie backdrop for Easy Rider.
Throughout your tour, you’ll get an in-depth view at the evolution of voodoo -- the practice of witchcraft with an African religious heritage. Often dismissed as a cult or superstition, plenty of New Orleans residents believe in its powers. Voodoo rites and traditions are still observed. Small shops sell tools of the trade with herbs, oils, powders, candles and more recognizable items such as voodoo dolls and gris-gris--voodoo amulets.
By the end of your tour, you'll understand the meaning of the gris-gris as well as take home some voodoo charms of your own with the mysterious objects found in your souvenir bag!
Duration: 2 hours
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 3 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- During warmer months, we recommend that you wear lightly colored clothing. Caps/hats and umbrellas are also suggested.
- In order to help preserve the French Quarter from vehicular traffic, it is requested that you please walk, if possible, to the convenient tour departure point, just a short stroll from most downtown hotels.
- Wheelchair Access: If the guest needs a wheelchair lift equipped bus, then special arrangements need to be made with the supplier. This must be arranged 48 hours prior to tour date. Contact details will be on your voucher.
- Alternate Routes: Due to uneven and narrow paths, alternate routes may be necessary for guests traveling in wheelchairs.
- Infant rates apply provided they do not occupy a seat.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 60 travelers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.