- 4 hours (Approx.)
- Mobile ticket
COMBO TRIP: Swim with wild Dolphins and snorkel at Kealakekua Bay!
On this four hour excursion, you will travel to a beautiful marine sanctuary, Kealakekua Bay where the Captain Cook monument stands. This is a beautiful reef with over 600 underwater species! As we travel down the coastline to the Bay we will stop to swim with wild spinner dolphins. Expect the following while enjoying boat ride to our favorite snorkeling spot!
• 46' Delta with plenty of room to move around including cabin for shade, upper deck for unobstructed viewing, and plenty of room on bow and stern of the boat to move around
• Marine head
• Great views of Kailua Kona including lava flows and sea caves
• Amazing views of the Captain Cook monument and the bay with historical and cultural significance to the islands
- Ideal choice for families
- Snorkel gear included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Travel by boat and see the sights from the water
- Bottled water
- Professional guide
- Use of Snorkelling equipment
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Bite Me Sportfishing Logo Store
See Dolphins and Snorkel in Kealakekua Bay, travel from the south to a marine life sanctuary, Kealakekua Bay, where the Captain Cook monument is located.
Once in Kealakekua Bay we snorkel there for approximately 45 minutes. Guest can expect to see sea turtles, bright colored reef fish, coral over 1500 years old, the Captain Cook Monument, freshwater springs, dolphin pods, and humpback whales who are here during the winter months. Our crew will be there to help assist anyone who needs help snorkeling as well as talking about the history and cultural significance of the area.
Along the way to the bay we will stop to swim with a pod of spinner dolphins. These wild dolphins are so commonly found we guarantee that we will take you again if we do not see any dolphins.
Spinner Dolphin Facts:
• Why do spinner dolphins leap and spin? There are several ideas. One is that they are trying to remove amoras, a kind of suckerfish that attach themselves to the dolphin’s bodies. Another possibility is that this could be a form of communication for the dolphins, and we also think they do it just to have fun!
• What time of the day do spinner dolphins rest and tend to their young? Spinner Dolphins will rest for about four to five hours and while resting will slowly swim back and forth. During this time, the dolphins do not spin or leap very often and sleep with half their brain alert to ensure they continue to breathe, while the other half of their brain is at rest. Many scientists also believe that dolphins keep half of their brain awake to be aware of predators.
• What do spinner dolphins eat? Hawaiian spinner dolphins feed on small fish, shrimp and squid, typically hunting at night in groups.
• How often do spinner dolphins reproduce? A spinner dolphin will give birth or “calve”, once every two to three years.
• How big are Hawaiian Spinner Dolphins? The average size for an adult spinner dolphin is roughly 6.5 feet weighing about 165 pounds.
• What is the Hawaiian word for the dolphins? Nai'a or Hawaiian Spinner Dolphins are shaped and colored somewhat differently from other spinner dolphins.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Infants four and under must provide their own life vests
- Collasible wheelchair accessible - if assistance is required, passenger must provide their own carer
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
My family and I went on the dolphin snorkel trip and loved it. The boat maneuvers to the area where the dolphins are swimming through. You jump in the water and swim with them. Some playfully come closer and even jump out of the water. Later we went to the Captain Cook area to snorkel with fish. We were so exhausted but it was so much fun!
It was a great crew and the small size of the boat and small number of people on board made it fast to get in and out of the water so we could make multiple stop to see the most dolphins possible.
One of the most amazing experiences of my life. We swam twice with the dolphins, saw two pairs of whales and heard them sing too. The snorkeling spot was a little underwhelming, but seriously after swimming with dolphins twice who cares. The boat and the crew were fabulous and really knew their stuff. Did I mention we swam with the dolphins twice!!! Floating around in the ocean with dolphins surrounding you is breathtaking. Our Uber driver didnt drop us in the right spot, so make sure you dont get out until you can see the Biteme fishing shop.
Best trip ever. Everyone enjoyed swimming with the dolphins. Even though it took several attempts, the Captain and JJ were able to catch up with the dolphins so that we were able to swim with them. Our non-swimmer was also able to see the dolphins jumping out of the water and swim around the boat. In the ocean, JJ was great in pointing out the other sea life. Would recommend this trip with Bite Me Sportfishing highly.
we were 6 total so we didn't spend a bunch of time getting ready and listening to rules. Our Captain took us right out to where the dolphins were swimming and we enjoyed at least an hour of swimming amongst them. My daughters were able to swim fast enough that when the dolphins came up, they were surrounded! Then she took us to her 'special' cove and we snorkeled, no other people around, so many beautiful fish! I would do this again!!!!!