- 210 to 240 minutes (Approx.)
- Mobile ticket
The completely unique aspect of this tour is that the sights are arranged chronologically so you experience one sustained story the whole way. Instead of random facts and dates we will focus on recapturing the passions and recreating the drama. It's not only much more enjoyable - it's also the most effective way to both explore Boston and explain America.
Exclusive. In Depth. Wide Ranging. Fun. The entire experience has been built with the aspirations and anxieties of a fellow tourist in mind: the groups are kept small so you aren't herded around; we cover both the major sights and the hidden gems; extensive visual aids and props help you grasp the material, and you'll traverse all original neighborhoods getting a sense of the modern city as well. A fun and entertaining walk through the crooked streets of Boston that lets you walk away with a deep and lasting understanding of the twisting road to revolution and the mindset that made America.
- Sightseeing and storytelling guide of Boston: 15 year local resident with degrees in American History, Political Science, and Public Policy
- The famous sights of Boston, sequentially arranged, with insights from the most prestigious studies on each subject.
- Personal Map & Timeline
- Wireless Portable Audio - loiter away without missing a word.
- The original neighborhoods: Downtown / Financials District, Government Center, Boston Harbor, and the historic North End.
- Patriotic fluff.
- Pedantic lecturing.
- Huge Crowds
- Costumed Actors
- Gratuities. (optional)
1 City Hall Square
Christopher Columbus Park Path, Boston, MA 02110, USA
This entirely original half-day walking tour provides a location by location and event by event retelling of the revolutionary story. Be prepared for a once-in-a-lifetime cultural adventure. You've heard of The Boston Massacre, Tea Party, The Battle of Bunker Hill, and The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere: now imagine if instead of checking them off your list, you could follow it all chronologically, include new insights, and recapture the energy that invented America
As a 15 year + local resident; holding degrees in History, Political Science, and Public Policy; with both good and bad experiences in (budget) travel, I'm uniquely positioned to combine local knowledge, academic expertise, and the ambitions of the curious traveler seeking a unique and comprehensive experience. It'll be equal parts humorous anecdotes, penetrating insights, and insider tips covering both a huge swath of the original city and the most formative event in American history. All through one sustained story covering the founding of Boston to the declaring of Independence.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT
• Meet at City Hall Plaza. Personal maps and optional audio receiver will be distributed so you're free to loiter at sights, take photos, and wander around without missing any of the story. .
• Sights include (but are hardly limited to) 12 out of 15 of the official Freedom Trail Locations: Old Corner Book Store, Cobb's Hill, Old South Meeting House, King's Chapel, Granary Burying Ground, Old North Church, Paul Revere's House, Old City Hall, Old State House, and more! PLUS hidden paths and back alley's well off the beaten path.
• Break & Entry into Faneuil Hall*
• Discussions include: settling Boston, the personalities of the founding fathers, the Patriot cause, the British version of events, the cultural history of the North End, Paul Revere's Ride, Lexington & Concord, Battle of Bunker Hill, Boston Tea Party, Boston Massacre, and the formative effect of the Revolution on America's culture.
• Finish at Christopher Columbus Park: conveniently located between North End (food), Long Wharf (Ferry, Charlestown Shuttle), & Quincy Market (shopping)
WHAT YOU SHOULD BRING
• Walking shoes.
• Weather appropriate clothing
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
Tour operates in all conditions. Please dress appropriately.
Not wheelchair accessible
Children are allowed but this is not a "kids" version of events.
*Faneuil Hall is normally free to enter, although most walking tours simply walk by it. Time permitting we will break to go inside, however, it is sometimes used for public functions and on occasion is not accessible.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Tour operates in all conditions. Please dress appropriately.
- Not wheelchair accessible. We will be covering a significant amount of ground and those with injuries or significant mobility limitations will likely find it difficult to complete.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult. There is no hard age restriction but this is not a "kids" version of events. The narrative structure helps keep them engaged but the younger they are the more difficult it is to stay involved for the duration. However, every child is different and parents know their own best.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Mike is very personable and explains events in a fun and interesting way. Learned so much I didn't know. Highly recommend!
Mike leads a friendly engaging and very intelligent tour through old Boston - telling the story of how the American Revolution got started as you go! We loved it and him! Very highly recommended!
Great guided tour. Strongly recommended for both US citizens and tourists (as we were). Mike explains and demonstrates how the American Independence history commenced. Don’t expect a straightforward narrative which you can find in any routine history book....this tour brings the Sons of Liberty to life. So interesting. Very popular attraction so book in advance.
Mike is a wealth of information regarding the American Revolution. He peppers his tour with little-known information about individuals behind-the-scenes of the American Revolution, and details of those well-known revolutionist. Important to wear comfortable walking shoes, as you will be doing a lot of walking. We have gone on many Viator tours all over the world and this one ranks near the top of the best we have experienced. We highly recommend this tour.!
We were so fortunate to have the opportunity to take this tour! The group is small enough to hear well and engage in the story woven throughtout the walk as told and explained by Mike. He is a true professional who understands the local history well, clearly loves what he is doing, and feels passionate about the uniqueness of Boston and the events that occured there so long ago that have forged the fabric of American history and values that we konw today. Mike has a great way of connecting historical events, people and concepts into the geographical walk around the Boston Freedom Trail area. Jump at the chance to do this tour if you can-- especailly if you have a limited time to sightsee in Boston. You'll feel that your time is well spent and leave with a much deeper appreciation of the area!
If you want to experience history, this is the tour for you! Mike is incredibly knowledgeable and a fantastic storyteller. Our group was so enthralled in his tour that we wanted to continue despite nearly 2 hours of heavy rainfall. It didn't dampen the tour a bit pun intended.
If you are remotely interested in the history of our founding fathers and the role Boston and Massachusetts played in the American Revolution, this tour is a must. The small group size allows for tons of questions, and Mike can answer them all. Additionally, Mike has designed the tour in a chronological manner. Thus, you not only see where historical events take place and where historical figures are buried, you also get a better understanding of the timeline of events--and learn what was left out of our textbooks.
If you are going to take this tour, just know that it is a lot of walking. There is a lot of ground to cover and not much time for rest, though there is a break about halfway through. Also, I really wouldn't recommend bringing children because of all the walking and because the content will probably not keep them engaged. However, it is great for teenagers who are interested in history.
I've taken several tours, and I can honestly say this is by far and away the best one for a history guy like me. You'll walk away with a better understanding of our nation's nascent history as well as a love for the city of Boston. Can't recommend this tour enough!
Mike was interesting and engaging. He knows his history and shares it with humor and enthusiasm. Mike worked very hard to make sure we all enjoyed the tour. Definitely recommend this tour!!
Mike was super knowledgeable, with a great ability to connect with anyone of any age, with any level of knowledge of American history. We were entertained, and learned a ton that we had either forgotten, or never knew. Highly recommended!
Excellent very informative walk through Boston and the history of the American Revolution. Mike has a talent of presenting all this in a very entertaining way without dumbing it down. As a trained historian he clearly knows his stuff, but it is equally important that he is so enthusiastic about it. Being non-Americans we had relatively little previous knowledge of the all the events and characters, but Mike managed to make all that accessible and enjoyable to us. Given the quality of the tour we thought he charges a surprisingly low price for the three hours in a small group.