- 3 hours (Approx.)
- Mobile ticket
Embark on a small-group, 3-hour whale watching and wildlife sightseeing tour from Hoonah, Alaska. Every season humpback whales come in large numbers to Hoonah to feed on the nutrient-rich waters of Glacier Bay and Icy Strait before migrating south again for the winter. The whale population begins to arrive in Hoonah in May, and stays through September.
- Choice of several departures throughout the day
- Close encounter with wildlife
- Small-group tour
- Perfect for all ages and skill level
- Bottled water
- Round-trip shared transfer from Icy Strait Point
- Local guide
- National Park fee
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Icy Strait Point
Returns to original departure point
The tour begins when you are picked up from the Excursions Hub at Icy Strait Point. A short drive along Shaman Point to the Hoonah City Commercial Dock will have you at the boat. Along the way, keep an eye out for local wildlife including bald eagles, blacktail deer, and more. Hoonah is home to the largest concentration of Alaskan Brown Bears in the world.
While traveling along the shorelines, sightings of bears, deer, coastal ducks and geese, blue heron, puffin, swans, terns, cormorants and more are common. In the water you may get a chance to spot humpback, Orca, sea otters, sea lions, porpoises, and seals. Your captains are knowledgeable guides who are happy to share their wealth of knowledge. The boats are built for speed and comfort, and perfectly suited for travel along Alaska’s waterways. With viewing decks and heated cabins, guests will stay warm and dry as they experience the wonder and beauty of the trip.
Humpbacks are amazingly active and typical whale sightings will include diving, blows, and flukes (tails). Lucky whale-watchers may get to see bubble-net feeding, a cooperative feeding method where a pod forms a circle and dives under the water. They then blow air to create a wall of bubbles that force krill and plankton to the surface where the whales can eat them.
You will return to the docks and enjoy transport back to Icy Strait Point with plenty of time to board your ship or explore downtown Hoonah.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- At time of booking, cruise ship passengers must provide the following information: ship name
- Departure times are dependent upon arrival and departure of your cruise ship
- No smoking allowed
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.