- 6 hours (Approx.)
- Hotel pickup offered
- Mobile ticket
This is a small narrated group tour by van. At Whitney Plantation's Louisiana Museum of Slavery, see the harsh realities and raw historical facts of a dark side of American history. The slave narratives and artwork recreate the world of a pre-Civil War southern sugar plantation and memorial in honor of the lives of the enslaved people who toiled there. A short ride through sugar cane fields leads to St. Joseph Plantation, a Creole style family-owned working sugar cane plantation. Family members give a relaxed, intimate tour of their ancestral home and dependencies (including original slave cabins).
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- Small group ensures personal service
- Step back in time on a history tour
- All entrance fees included
- Hotel pickup included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (selected hotels only)
- Live commentary on board
- Professional Driver/guide (additional fee for foreign language bilingual guide)
- Entry/Admission - Whitney Plantation
- Entry/Admission - St. Joseph Plantation
- This tour does NOT include a meal, Snacks and drinks available for purchase
Traveler pickup is offered
Please specify hotel at time of purchase. We pick up in New Orleans at any hotel, Bed & Breakfast or select Airbnbs, uptown (close to St. Charles Ave.), in (or close to) the French Quarter, and on the Westbank.
We do not pick up by the airport, in New Orleans East, in Slidell, or on the North Shore.
Supplier will contact you the day before your tour to give you an exact pick up time.
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
* On Tuesdays, Whitney Plantation is closed and replaced by Evergreen or Laura Plantation
* On Wednesdays, St Joseph Plantation is closed and replaced by Evergreen or Laura Plantation
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Lake Pontchartrain, New Orleans, LA
This is an off-the-beaten path, away from large tourist crowds, small group tour. A 14 passenger tour van and excellent driver/guide pick you up at your New Orleans hotel and narrate the scenic 90-minute drive out of New Orleans.
Ride along the shores of Lake Pontchartrain and prepare for a pilgrimage back in time to the Antebellum South. There will be a scenic crossing of the Mississippi River on a high suspended bridge. Then you'll take a short ride upriver to Whitney Plantation's Louisiana Museum of Slavery.
Stop At: Whitney Plantation, 5099 Highway 18, Wallace, LA 70049-2803
Recently opened to the public, it exposes the harsh realities and raw historical facts of this dark side of American history. The 90-minute guided tour includes a short video detailing the history of this mansion from 1790 followed by a guided walking tour of the restored buildings and museum. The restored plantation outer buildings, exhibits, slave narratives, and memorial artwork recreate the world of a pre-Civil War sugar plantation and the lives of the slaves who lived, worked, and died there.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: St. Joseph Plantation, 3535 Highway 18, Vacherie, LA 70090-7073
A short ride through sugar cane fields brings you to St. Joseph Plantation, a Creole style, family-owned working sugar cane plantation since 1877. The one-hour tour gives you a fascinating glimpse into the lives of the many interesting people who have called this plantation 'home.' Many tours are guided by family members themselves. It is a relaxed, intimate visit to an ancestral home, grounds, and dependencies (including original slave cabins). The movie 12 Years A Slave was filmed there. Driving back to your New Orleans hotel takes 90 minutes. Lunch is not included but snacks and drinks can be purchased at both gift shops.
Duration: 1 hour
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Most travelers can participate
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
- Extra fee for language other than English applies
- Tour cannot accommodate wheelchairs of any kind
- On Tuesdays, Whitney Plantation is closed and replaced by Evergreen or Laura Plantation
- On Wednesdays, St Joseph Plantation is closed and replaced by Evergreen or Laura Plantation
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 14 travelers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.