- 4 hours (Approx.)
- Mobile ticket
The Makauwahi Cave Reserve is a rare limestone cave and sinkhole system. Tour the cave and surrounding area and learn about the ancient island ecology. Begin 10,000 years ago, and work your way forward. This 4-hour private tour allows you to see deeper into this magical place.
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Hotel pickup and drop-off from Poipu Beach area
- Beverages and bottled water
- Light refreshments and snacks
- Professional guide
- Private small-group tour
- Entry/Admission - Makauwahi Cave Reserve
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
Traveler pickup is offered
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
Returns to original departure point
Start the day with a pickup from your Poipu Beach area hotel in the morning or afternoon, depending on the day chosen. A professional archaeologist will collect passengers in a comfortable "Tortoise" Ford Transit van, and start with a visually presented background of the south shore of Kauai.
Travel through the old sugar cane fields, to the area of the Makauwahi Cave Reserve. First, tour the cave itself, then have a well earned provided snack. Next, hike to an amazing lookout and see a wide range of native plants and other ecological wonders. The trek will then visit the "weeders", or our tortoises, and hopefully see several endangered animals in the reserve Taro Fields before being returned to your accommodations.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Awesome tour and guide. Unique experience and exposure to the island history and ecology with engaging and energetic staff and great food!
Terrific tour for locals and tourists! Personalized and unique tour given by a very knowledgeable archeologist. He brought the history and geology of the area to life. Like going on a wonderful field trip with your favorite teacher. His style is entertaining and educational at the same time. Highly recommended!