- 15 hours (Approx.)
- Hotel pickup offered
- Mobile ticket
Experience some outdoor activity on your visit to El Calafate by participating in this full-day trek to El Chalten in Los Glaciares National Park. Enjoy a range of hiking trails (independently or guided) within this scenic area. You'll be transported by an air-conditioned coach and hotel pickup/drop-off is available for centrally located El Calafate hotels. A boxed lunch and nonalcoholic beverages are also included on this full-day tour to help fuel your adventure.
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Lunch included
- Lunch Box
- Beverages (non-alcoholic)
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (centrally located hotels only)
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Guided or self guided trek
- Map of the Trekking Trails
- National Park fees
- Breakfast, snacks, coffee/tea and bottled water (available for purchase)
Pickup from centrally located El Calafate hotels
08:30 - 09:00 hs
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time
Drop-off at centrally located El Calafate hotels
Following being picked up at your hotel in downtown El Calafate by an air conditioned coach, you'll pass by the mythical Route 40, along the Argentino Lake. You'll listen to your guide's story about Darwin's experiences with Fitz Roy while navigating along the Santa Cruz River.
After 75 minutes, you'll arrive at the former Hotel Paso la Leona, where you will have the option of enjoying some coffee and homemade cakes (at own expense) before continuing your journey. Before reaching El Chalten, you'll take a break at a viewpoint near the Viedma Glacier, with the Fitz Roy and Torre Hills looming in the distance.
When you arrive at El Chalten 3 hours later, you will be welcomed by rangers. You'll then continue on to the starting point of the self-guided hiking trails, where your guide will hand you maps and provide you with advice about different hiking options, based on your physical fitness. You'll be given a boxed lunch to savor during your hike. If you do not wish to hike independent, you can accompany your guide on a trail on their choosing. From May to August, given the low temperatures of the area, lunch will be served in a restaurant
On the afternoon, you'll return to a previously agreed upon meeting point for the return trip to El Calafate
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Minimum 2 adults per booking
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Minimum age is 12 years
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- A large amount of physical activity is involved
- The duration of transfers are approximate, the exact duration will depend on the time of day and traffic conditions
- Operates in most weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Comfortable walking shoes are mandatory
- If you will not be arriving at your destination within the specified reconfirmation period, please reconfirm with the local service provider prior to travel, or upon arrival at your destination. Please note that departure times and locations may vary slightly.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers
All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.
This was one of our 5 all day excursions we booked in El Calafate. Overall, it was a good tour and we enjoyed it a lot. Would recommend. Pick up was later than 9 am - I am guessing because other guests running late and us being one of the last pick ups. Long drive to El Chalten but bus is comfortable and adequate stops along the way. Do yourself a favor and get the Alfajores cookie if they have it at the La Leona hotel. Anna was our trip guide and she did a good job explaining things along the way - both in Spanish as well as in English. Once you get to El Chalten, you have 2 choices - 8 km hike at your own pace or a 1 km hike and walk around town. We opted for the 8 km one. It is a Medium level difficulty for casual hikers. The first 45 mins is the toughest because you ascend a lot during that time. Boxed lunch was decent. Views were spectacular. On this day, Mt. Fitzroy was under cloud cover but we enjoyed our hike anyway. Went to the river point on the way down. There are some very good options in town if you want to grab a drink and use the restroom at local bars and restaurants after you finish your hike and most of them have a great happy hour. We enjoyed our day and would recommend this tour.
wonderful tour with a great guide! highly recommend it for those who don't want to drive over!
The weather was great, our guide Pablo, master at history, personal experience and bilingual translation. The scenic views nothing short of spectacular.
The Good: El Chalten is a must destination in Patagonia. Fritz Roy peak is a thousand times more impressive in person than any photograph can represent. Wonderful little town nestled between the mountains. Would recommend spending several days than just a single day. If one day is what you have then this tour is the answer. Pick up from your hotel and a comfortable maybe a little tight van made the 2 1/2 hour trip tolerable. The guide was fantastic with clear explanations of the region, it's history and stories of El Chalten. Spoke in Spanish and English so everyone could understand. Sandwich lunch provided and a drop off at the trail head to go trekking. I would recommend this tour, however read below. Suggest you verify the logistics prior to committing.
The Bad: Logistics of the trip was not to what was advertised. Advertised was hotel pick-up at 7:30ish with 6 hours in El Chalten for trekking and sight seeing. Actual trip was 9:30ish pick-up at hotel with 4 hours of trekking. at the Lorena stop I spoke to the guide which called into the headquarters and was able to extend the trip by one hour 5 hours of trekking. This was a big disappointment since I had carefully selected the Laguna Torre trail since the time to hike this trail fits the advertised 6 hour trekking time. I did the Laguna Torre trek but only got to KM 7 before having to turn around to get back in the scheduled time. I feel as if I was cheated of my plans and what was advertised was not delivered.
Aside from the logistic shortfall, everything else was fantastic. If you decide to sign up with this tour company, call/email to confirm the logistics of the trip. If it meets what you want, go with them, the guide, transportation and the destination were all fantastic.