- 3 hours 30 minutes (Approx.)
- Hotel pickup offered
- Mobile ticket
Psst — over here. Get a good peek into Rio's Carnival on this half-day tour behind the scenes of the behemoth celebration. Travel to Cidade do Samba, where the best samba schools build and store their grandiose floats, sparkling costumes and feathered headdresses. Take a guided tour of the warehouse of Acadêmicos do Grande Rio, a highly ranked samba school, and then try on some of those snazzy costumes. You’ll gain in-depth insight into Carnival culture, and toast your inside-access visit with a caipirinha, Brazil’s signature cocktail.
- All entrance fees included
- Excellent value for money
- Free drinks included
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Professional guide
- One caipirinha drink
- Hotel pickup and drop-off to most South South Zone hotels in Rio
- Guided Visit to Grande Rio’s Warehouse
- Entry/Admission - Cidade Do Samba
Traveler pickup is offered
* Roundtrip transfer to/from most hotels located in Sao Conrado, Copacabana, Ipanema and Leblon
* Please wait for your guide in the hotel lobby of your selected hotel. If your hotel is not listed, contact us so we can inform you the closest pick up location and time.
Returns to original departure point
Wednedays and Sundays
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Cidade Do Samba, Rua Rivadavia Correia 60 Gamboa, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro 20220-290 Brazil
After hotel pickup, travel to the mandala-shaped Cidade do Samba, a warehouse complex in Gamboa, the birthplace of Rio de Janeiro's samba. More than 80 samba schools with 100,000 dancers participate in Carnival, but each year only the top 12 to 14 samba schools form the Special Group, aka the First League, which build and store their magnificent floats and costumes at Cidade do Samba. As you explore the complex with your guide, learn about the history of samba as well as the Carnival parade and competition in the Sambadrome.
Although Carnival explodes into action only once a year, backstage preparations continue on a daily basis. Want to know more? Head inside the warehouse of G.R.E.S. Acadêmicos do Grande Rio, a local-favorite samba school established in 1988.
With your guide leading the way, meander through the warehouse and marvel at the floats in progress. Eye the rows of racks bursting with eye-popping costumes. Learn about the allegories and stories underlying the pageantry, as your guide explains Carnival’s pagan origins that began in ancient Greece and continued into the Middles Ages in Europe before arriving in Brazil through Portuguese colonization.
Wondering how those costumes would look on you? Try them on and find out! Slip on some outrageous ensembles and snap memorable pics to upload on your social media accounts.
Finally, toast your visit with a caipirinha, a cocktail made with cachaça (sugar cane hard liquor), sugar and lime, before taking transport back to your hotel.
Duration: 2 hours
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- It is recommended that you wear comfortable clothes and shoes
- Minimum age to drink alcohol is 18 years
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.