- 3 hours (Approx.)
- Mobile ticket
Visiting the Rocinha favela, one of Rio de Janeiro's hundreds of "favelas" (the Brazilian term for a shantytown or slum), is a local experience that gives you the chance to see Brazil from another point of view. On this tour by Jeep, explore the favela with a guide to observe the routine of this community, meet residents, visit schools, and walk through the alleys and commercial center of the favela, where you can check out a street fair.
- All entrance fees included
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- All taxes, fees, and handling charges
- Professional guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (select hotels only)
- Round-trip private transfer
- Food and drinks
Traveler pickup is offered
Between 8am and 9am
Times are subject to change due to local traffic conditions.
Returns to original departure point
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Rocinha, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro
Your tour starts in the morning with hotel pickup by Jeep for the drive to the Rocinha favela, the largest in Brazil, located in Rio's South Zone.
Set on a steep hillside overlooking the city, Rocinha is home to about 250,000 people, and compared to simple shantytowns or slums, Rocinha has a better developed infrastructure with many businesses, giving it the classification of a favela bairro (favela neighborhood). With your guide, discover daily life in the favela as you meet its residents and visit organizations like the Samba School Acadêmicos da Rocinha. Wander along the small alleyways, and visit the favela's center of trade, Largo do Boiadeiro, where you'll find a street fair with food, drinks, and crafts from the region where most Rocinha residents are from. Your tour ends with hotel drop-off.
Please note: We are sensitive to the issues and concerns surrounding favelas, and we understand that this tour may not be suitable for everyone. We strongly believe that the purpose of this tour is for educational reasons alone and allows for a better understanding of Brazilian life inside a favela.
Duration: 3 hours
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 10 years
- It is recommended that you wear comfortable shoes with good grip and bring a light snack, water, sunscreen, and insect repellent
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.