- 5 hours (Approx.)
- Hotel pickup offered
- Mobile ticket
Experience Paraty´s unique combination of history, culture and nature on this fascinating tour in the forest on the mountainside behind the town. With your expert local guide, step back in time on the Gold Trail, the paved road built by African slaves in the 18th Century to bring gold and precious stones out of the Brazilian interior and onto ships to Portugal. After walking on the trail through the rainforest you will stop at freshwater pools and waterfalls for a refreshing swim. You´ll also visit the thrilling Toboggan waterfall, a natural rock waterslide that you can slide down and the locals ´surf´down standing up! The tour finishes in a cachaça distillery where, before tasting the various types of cachaça, you will see at first hand how the Brazilian rum is still made the traditional way.
- English speaking state accredited tour guide
- Cachaça tasting at local distillery
- Small-group walking tour
- Round-trip transport by bus
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Your guide will meet you at your hotel accommodation at 08:30am
Bus station in Paraty
Meet your state registered guide at Paraty bus station at 08:30am to catch the bus into the mountain range behind the town. After the bus journey of approximately 25 minutes you will arrive at the start of a section of the Gold Trail that has been restored for people to visit. Access to the trail is only permitted on payment of a maintenance fee (included in tour price) and with a state-registered guide. The trail takes about 90 minutes and is downhill on very uneven rocky surfaces. During the walk you´ll find out about Paraty´s past; the history and construction of the Gold Trail; and the flora and fauna of the Atlantic Forest. After the waterfalls the guide will take you to Engenho d´Ouro cachaça distillery where the Brazilian rum is made the traditional way. At the distillery there will be a tasting session of the many different types of cachaça and liqueurs (included in tour price). There will be a chance to buy cachaça before you take the bus back to Paraty.
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Wear shoes that you are comfortable walking in (no high heels, no flipflops)
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.