- 4 hours 30 minutes (Approx.)
- Mobile ticket
Discover the secrets of a local street market, engage with local artists and promote local social entrepreneurship. This Rio de Janeiro tour will take you to the shops, galleries and workshops you’d never find on your own — bringing you face-to-face with some of the most artistic souls in the city.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Transportation during the tour
- Food and drinks
- Souvenirs and personal shopping
- Tips/gratuities for your local guide
Belmond Copacabana Palace, Av. Atlântica, 1702 - Copacabana - Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro - RJ, 22021-001, Brazil
Returns to original departure point
We’ll start our Rio de Janeiro shopping tour riding like the locals do — aboard the subway. We’ll take public transit from Copacabana to reach a local outdoor shopping area in the heart of Rio’s downtown. A bit like a farmers’ market but also nothing like it at the same time, it’s a local scene you’ll just have to see for yourself!
This Rio tour will take you to a mix of shops and studios that are all independently owned and operated, and sometimes the artists might even be there to chat directly with you! We’ll do our best to ensure every stop is open for every tour, with the artist on-site when possible, but note that some of these may vary depending on the artist’s schedule.
Once downtown, we’ll visit the studio of a one-woman social project. With no official backing from organisations, a local woman has decided to only employ deaf women. Learn about her studio and why she has chosen to pursue this cause on her own.
We’ll then head uphill to the bohemian neighbourhood of Santa Teresa, where you’ll visit the shop of an amazing local craftsman who has been working in this area for over 30 years. He turns other people’s garbage into art — literally anything from an old cellphone to a keyboard to a piece of wood can be converted to a piece under his artistic vision. Prepare to be stunned by his work!
While we’re here, we’ll also tour a bit of the community and stop into a local shop that supports and contributes to Brazilian indigenous people and culture. Then, we’ll head onwards to the first local souvenir shop in Santa Teresa, which strictly promotes only Brazilian art and products.
Finally, you’ll discover one of Rio’s most famous local artists, who does oil paintings on canvas that are influenced by life in the favelas. Visit his studio, where you can see his community-inspired masterpieces.
We’ll finish up your Rio tour at a popular spot in Santa Teresa, where you can grab a drink if you like, relax and take in the incredible view over the neighbourhood.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- As the studios and shops we visit on this tour are all independently owned and operated, they may be closed unexpectedly. We will confirm all venues before your tour, and tailor the tour to what is open and what artists are available that day.
- This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. You can do so in the special request box on the checkout page.
- For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.