- 2 hours (Approx.)
- Mobile ticket
Find out more about Paraty, a UNESCO nominated World Heritage site, on this fascinating walking tour of the old town. Your state accredited, expert guide will take you back in time to the Portuguese discovery of Brazil and trace the development of Paraty through the sugar, gold and coffee economic booms. Full of insider tips, stories and anecdotes that only a local guide will know, this tour breathes life into the living museum that is Paraty.
Beautiful colonial architecture, street design ahead of its time, Freemasonry, exiled Portuguese royalty and the dark past of the slave trade – these are just some of the ingredients that make up Paraty’s rich and colourful history from the past to the present day.
Maximum Group: 8 travelers
- Small-group tour
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Led by a local guide
- Explore the local streets on a walking tour of the city
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- Professional state accredited (cadastur) guide
- Small-group tour, maximum 8 people
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Entrance fees to Casa de Cultura, Churches and other attractions
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Paraty Tourist Information Centre
Original departure point
Meet your guide at Chafariz Square at the entrance to the Paraty Historic centre pedestrian zone and then set off on your 2-hour walking tour of the streets of Paraty. On the way to the Main Square the Portuguese Colonial Architecture it feels like you have stepped back in time to the 19th century.
As you wander the streets you will see all the main sites including the Churches (First Church Our Lady of the Remedies, Igreja Nossa Senhora das Dores (Capelinha), Chapel of Saint Rita and the Church of Our Lady of the Rosary and Saint Benedict), the Casa de Cultura, the old jail, former cinemas, the stations of the Cross and many of the old colonial buildings. Your expert local guide will point out the architectural and urban design features that make Paraty such a unique example of Portuguese colonial architecture. There´ll be time to stop at a cachaça store where you can try the local rum which is still made the traditional way.
At the end of the tour you´ll finish on Rua do Comercio, Paraty´s bustling street of stores, where the past meets the present!
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Minimum drinking age is 18 years
- A maximum of 08 people per booking
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended
- Dress code is smart casual
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.