- 4 hours (Approx.)
- Mobile ticket
During this excursion we will hike to the summit of Rio de Janeiro's famous Sugarloaf Mountain. In 1817, British female adventurer, Henrietta Carstairs, made the first ascent up the Costão Route. Since then, it has been one of the most exciting adventures in town, which is still unknown by a large part of Rio population.
The most part of the hike is an ascent up the steep mountain East Face. Mid way through there is a fun 15 meters / 50 feet roped and secured rock climb - no previous experience necessary! Don't worry, our guides will provide all the safety equipment to enjoy this section with ease.
At the summit you will enjoy the city's best views: observe famous destinations such as Christ the Redeemer Statue, Copacabana Beach, Tijuca Forest and it's mountains, Rio's twin city Niterói and more.
To descent ride the famous cable car down (ticket included) to it's first stop (Morro da Urca). From there an easy and relaxed trail of 30 minutes takes us back to the Red Beach.
- Certified bilingual rock climbing guide
- All safety equipment
- Private health insurance
- Cable Car descent to Morro da Urca (Urca Hill)
- Food, drinks and extra costs
- Hotel pick up and drop-off
Santander, Praça Gen. Tibúrcio, s/n - Urca, Rio de Janeiro - RJ, 22290-270, Brazil
Returns to original departure point
- First section: Walk through the beautiful coastal path Pista Claudio Coutinho (1.2 km / 0.7 mi) until the entrance of the Costão;
- The Costão: a steep ascent up the East Face of Sugarloaf Mountain. The majority of this trail is a walk up rock ramps and through forested pathways. There are incredible views of Rio's twin city Niterói, Guanabara Bay and the Atlantic ocean throughout the excursion;
- Climbing section: midway through the Costão we will reach an easy but challenging climbing section of 15 meters / 50 feet. There is no experience necessary for this climb and our guides will brief you on basic rock climbing safety. All safety equipment are included;
- The summit: we will enjoy the world famous views of Rio de Janeiro and it’s area such as Christ the Redeemer Statue, Copacabana Beach, Tijuca Forest and it’s mountains and more;
- The descent: to get back down to the meeting point, we take the cable car to the first hill (Morro da Urca) where we will then take an easy and relaxed hike of 30 minutes.
Don't miss out on this true carioca experience!
• Pao de Acucar, Rio de Janeiro, State of Rio de Janeiro Brazil
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Minimum age is 7 years; minors must be accompanied by an adult
- Adult pricing applies to all passengers
- Refunds will not be issued if tour/activity is missed due to your late arrival
- No sandals; sport or hiking shoes only
- Recommended: Bring light clothes, comfortable shoes with a good grip, a two handles backpack, 1.5L of water, snacks, mosquito repellent, sunscreen and your camera!
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travelers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.