- 4 hours (Approx.)
- Mobile ticket
Experience your own ‘March of the Penguins’ on Magdalena Island during a morning tour by boat from Punta Arenas. After cruising across the Strait of Magellan, land on this protected nature reserve and marvel at the thousands of Magellanic penguins milling about on the pebbly terrain that serves as their breeding grounds. Follow your guide along a cordoned-off path leading up to a lighthouse, where you'll learn about the island’s ecosystem. Weather permitting, cruise by Isla Marta to observe sea lions and elephant seals.
- All entrance fees included
- Close encounter with wildlife
- Free snacks included
- Get up-close to native wildlife
- Boat tour
- Professional guide
- Transfer from the meeting point to the pier
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Entry/Admission - Solo Expediciones
- Entry/Admission - Monumento Natural Los Pinguinos
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Airport pickup and drop-off
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Meeting point at local office
6:30 AM at the meeting point located in Jose Nogueira #1255, Punta Arenas. For passengers arriving by cruises, you can book this service and we will schedule your trip to a special departure time at 10:30 AM. Remember to let us know that you're coming on a cruise for modifiying your presentation time in Jose Nogueira #1255, Punta Arenas.
Concludes in Punta Arenas at the main office of the local provider, located in Jose Nogueira #1255, Punta Arenas
Dress warmly and get ready to join this tour which will start at a meeting point in Punta Arenas and then travel with the rest of the group to the pier.
Climb aboard a large powerboat and head north for about 40 minutes on the Strait of Magellan. If you’re lucky, you may glimpse panda dolphins leaping out of the choppy grey waters.
Arrive at the small and rocky Magdalena Island, also called Los Pinguinos Natural Monument, a protected nature reserve and park since 1982, and a breeding site for Magellanic penguins. Even before the boat docks, you’ll see thousands of penguins crowding the shores and hear their squawking. During the summer, approximately 120,000 penguins occupy the island.
Disembark and spend about an hour here with your guide, keeping to the designated trail roped off for visitors. These curious birds, about 2 feet (61 cm) tall, will cross your path and may approach you, but you'll be instructed not to touch or feed them.
On either side of the trail, see hundreds of burrows in the ground, about a foot (30 cm) in diameter, each populated by a pair of penguins. Watch penguins pop in and out of the holes, where eggs are laid, and others excavate new burrows by flinging aside heaps of dirt with their webbed feet. Your guide may point out cormorants and Andean seagulls on the island as well.
Reach the highest point on the island and enter a lighthouse, which houses exhibits explaining the penguins’ habitat and breeding cycles, the history of the strait and the rich ecosystems of nearby islands.
Then warm up with coffee and snack on biscuits (provided) before leaving the island. On your way back, if the weather permits, your captain may pass by Isla Marta, where you can snap shots of sea lions and elephant seals lounging on the rocky outcrop.
After a marvelous morning with penguins, your tour will end in Punta Arenas at the same meeting point in the morning.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- It is recommended that you wear comfortable, warm clothes and trekking shoes or boots
- Please bring a jacket or sweater, a scarf, hat, sunglasses and water
- Important: Passport name, number, expiry and country is required at time of booking for all participants
- Seasonal product operating October to March
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION: On peak season (Christmas, Holidays, Cruise dates, November to March) the departure time of your tour may vary depending on availability, there are three possible departure times, which are 6:30/10:00/15:00hrs, the regular one is 6:30am BUT we will be letting you know if we have to reschedule your departure time due availability.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
If you cancel at least 3 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.