- 4 hours (Approx.)
- Mobile ticket
Sail through the Magellan Strait to Isla Magdalena and Isla Marta, both of them form the Natural Monument Los Pinguinos, which protects more than 120,000 penguins and also a small colony of sea lions.
- Led by a local guide
- All entrance fees included
- Free snacks included
- Professional guide
- The visit to the Penguin Colony “Monumento Natural Los Pingüinos” located in Magdalena Island it will be for 1 hour
- Entry/Admission - Solo Expediciones
- Entry/Admission - Monumento Natural Los Pinguinos
- Port pick up of the passengers (except "Include transfer from port" option)
7am or 10:30am
Cruisers only 10.30 AM.
With transfer option, pickup is at 9:45am
Returns to original departure point
Both islands form an interesting ecosystem, making an obligatory visit for any visitor, whereas Marta Island lodges more than 1000 Sea lions, Cormorants, Skuas, Austral seagull, Antartic pigeon and Sea elephants. The Magdalena Island allows you to observe one of the majors colonies of Magellan Penguins, going beyond the 150,000 birds. During the navigation it is possible to see Austral Dolphins and Overas Toninas (kind of dolphins).
To protect wild life, Marta Island is only circumnavigated to admire and photograph the Colony and the diversity of marine birds that live there. However in Magdalena Island it is possible to disembark for about one hour, to walk and to observe the colony. This excursion departs daily, depending on weather conditions.
The journey is approximately 4 hours long.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 7 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Passport name, number, expiry and country is required at time of booking for ALL participants.
- If you choose the transfer included option: subject to favorable weather conditions, if canceled due to poor weather, you will be given 100% refund of your ferry ticket ($132 per person), but not of ground transfer service that we will book since your reservation arrives.
- Without transfer option: subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given a full refund
- About "with transfer option": If it´s a rainy day, passengers can´t walk too much or ship docks at the farthest pier, this is a good option, if not is better if you choose the "without transfer" option. At Punta Arenas ships can dock at a pier around 20 minutes away by car from the boat office or at a pier only 4 blocks away from the boat office.
- This trip can be canceled due to poor weather by Punta Arenas Administration even one hour before starting.
If you cancel at least 4 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 3 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
I would not recommend this excursion. We were suppose to set sail on a 4 hour trip to Magdalena Island to see the penguins, instead we spent 6 hours in a very uncomfortable boat sloshing around due to low tide. This novice captain knew the conditions were unfavorable and should have NEVER taken us passengers away from the pier. But instead, we were subjected to half the boat vomiting. We could not dock at the pier due to low tide and had to wait another 2.5 hours to be rescued. Wasted an entire day on that boat. Very disappointed with the way things were handled. We were promised to go to Magdalena Island to see penguins and were suppose to be given a snack. We got nothing. I would not recommend this tour.
The experience in visiting the Magellan penguin colony was quite good. The early tour was fully booked and boat a little cramped but not uncomfortable. The crew were diligent in passenger and penguin safety and the close proximity to the Penguins was particularly good for those who had not seen them before. Cruising by Marta island sea lion colony was very special and sufficient time given for pics. The interactive pirate entertainment passed the return journey happily. The biscuit and coffee snack offering was a little merger but the Captain did his best ! Thankyou
This tour began at 10:30 am and was to return at approximately 2:30 pm. We were to visit penguins for approximately 1 hour - thus the name, Magellan Penguins Natural Reserve in Magdalena Island from Punta Arenas. Instead, we were subjected to 6 hours at sea in waters that were so rocky that more than 15 people were vomiting continuously. Aside from providing large garbage bags and mopping up the vomit, there was little the crew could do. Because the waters were so rough, windows and doors were shut, leaving us all with no recourse other than to sit in a room filled with the stench and sound of vomit.
It should be noted that there were approximately 70 people on this tour. Approximately 50 were on our boat which had the experience I will describe here. The other 20 people had the full good experience. They left on time, experienced the full itinerary and returned relatively on time.
The tour promised a visit to the Penguin Natural Reserve and a side trip to see some seals from the boat. When we could not dock to see the penguins, we were taken to see the seals and for that reason the tour company has said they will give us a 50 refund. NOBODY signed up for this tour to see the seals and NOBODY would have signed up to take a six hour boat tour that should have been approximately 2.5 hours with a 45 minute transfer each way that involved nothing more than listening to people vomit or, if you were less lucky, vomiting throughout the trip.
The minute the captain became aware of what the sailing conditions would be he should have turned back. Instead, he said he subjected us to a boat trip that was beyond unpleasant. Furthermore, he maneuvered the boat into waves in such a way as to CAUSE further seasickness. This is a novice captain error which only caused more people to be sick.
Our trip was so delayed by unsafe water conditions that we nearly missed our connection back to our cruise ship. This was billed as a shore excursion that would begin at 10:30 and conclude at approximately 2:30. We were still on board the ship at 5 pm, so I had to call our ship from my cell phone to inform them that I had no idea when we would be back. We sat approximately 200 feet from the return pier for more than two hours with no communication about when we would be able to land. . We did not arrive back to our ship until 6 pm -- 3.5 hours late. and 30 minutes prior to our cruise ship's sailing.
- The trip did not deliver as promised -- We never visited the Magellan Penguin Natural Reserve
- No snack was provided, as indicated in the Itinerary
- No accommodations were provided to the more than 20 people who were vomiting other than providing large garbage bags and mops no water for rinsing mouths no seasick medicine
- Passenger safety was at risk the minute the captain determined the sea conditions, we should have returned to shore
- We nearly missed our cruise ship. Instead of returning at approximately 2:30, we returned at 6 pm an unacceptable level of lateness for a shore excursion
Terrific tour. A little disorganized at first but wound up in small group in van that took us to pier where a very good guide, driver and speedboat were waiting. Lucky the weather was good and ride to island a little choppy but really not bad. Seeing and interacting with 1000 penguins - UNBELIEVABLE!
The experience of walking amongst so many penguins on Magdalena Island was very special and a highlight of the trip and highly recommended for this reason.
The boats are a little crammed - we chose the early departure as we read the later tour is full from the cruise ships however, the early tour was completely full and the 2nd tour was practically empty so it must depend on the day. We were on the smaller of the two boats and it did have to keep stopping 6 times the trip to untangle seaweed from the motor we also had to wait quite a while for the 2nd boat to return so we could start the journey back.