- 8 hours (Approx.)
- Hotel pickup offered
- Mobile ticket
Don't miss this early morning tour to El Tatio geyser field, one of San Pedro de Atacama’s most popular surrounding attractions and one of the biggest geothermal fields in the world with more than 80 geyers. With a local guide, you'll arrive at El Tatio at sunrise, when the cold, high-altitude air creates a mystical landscape of steam. Then enjoy a light breakfast. End your tour with a stop in the small adobe village of Machuca.
- Breakfast included
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Led by a local guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan or bus
- Local guide
- Entrance fee to El Tatio geyser field - 10,000 Chilean pesos (approx. USD 16)
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Entry/Admission - Geyser del Tatio
- Entry/Admission - Machuca
Ignacio Carrera Pinto 451, San Pedro de Atacama, Región de Antofagasta, Chile
Traveler pickup is offered
Remember that the Hotel pick up and drop off is included only on Hotels located nearby San Pedro de Atacama urban zone. If your Hotel is located on Ayllus far away from the downtown, please approximate directly to the meeting point located at Ignacio Carrera Pinto #451, San Pedro de Atacama, at the same time specified
Returns to original departure point
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: San Pedro de Atacama, Antofagasta Region, Chile
Your tour starts with hotel pickup by van before dawn — yep, that's early! — from San Pedro de Atacama. The hotel pickup starts from the Hotels located nearby San Pedro de Atacama urban zone. We will drive north of San Pedro de Atacama to El Tatio, an approximate 1.5- to 2-hour trip.
The El Tatio Geyser Field stands just over 14,000 feet above sea level in the Andes Mountains of northern Chile and getting there is half the fun. You’ll travel up windy scenic mountain roads surrounded by snow-covered active and dormant volcanic peaks along the way. Magma beneath the surface acts to heat an underground source of water resulting in an explosive release of pressure.
Stop At: Geyser del Tatio, 174a Caracoles, San Pedro de Atacama 1410000 Chile
Your arrival at the geyser field coincides with the rising sun, which gives the geysers their most spectacular appearance. In the cold, early morning air of sunrise, each geyser is topped with a white column of steam that disappears when the temperature warms up. You have about two hours to walk around the field, marveling at the geothermal wonders and taking pictures. Then enjoy a light breakfast that typically includes a ham and cheese sandwich, biscuit, fruit, juice, tea and coffee.
After about three hours total at El Tatio, head back toward San Pedro de Atacama, stopping in the village of Machuca.
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Machuca, Route B-245, San Pedro de Atacama Chile
You have about an hour here to explore the very tiny village (about 10 residents) at your leisure, checking out its wooden church, handful of adobe houses with thatch roofs, and artisan shop. If you wish, try a llama empanada, the local specialty (own expense).
Finally, make the drive back to San Pedro de Atacama.
Duration: 1 hour
Pass By: San Pedro de Atacama, Antofagasta Region, Chile
Finally, make the drive back to San Pedro de Atacama, where your tour ends with hotel drop-off around midday. Remember that this trip takes approximately 3 hours to get back to San Pedro de Atacama.
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- It is recommended that you wear comfortable clothes including trekking pants and shoes, and a windbreaker or warm jacket
- Please bring a bathing suit and towel
- Note: Please bring cash to pay the entrance fees and any additional expenses
- Note: El Tatio sits at an elevation of nearly 14,000 feet, which may cause altitude sickness for some; it is recommended that you drink plenty of hot tea or water prior to the tour and carry any necessary medication
- Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times
- Note: It is not recommended for children under 10 years old to use the pools due to the high water temperatures
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Remember that the Hotel pick up and drop off is included only on Hotels located nearby San Pedro de Atacama urban zone. If your Hotel is located on Ayllus far away from the downtown, please approximate directly to the meeting point located at Ignacio Carrera Pinto #451, San Pedro de Atacama, at the same time specified
- You must let us know if you have health problems, medication allergy or any problem that may affect physical performance during the tour
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 20 travelers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Everything you could expect from the description. Just be aware that, at that altitude and before dawn, the air temp is below zero.
This was less impressive than the salt flat day tour. They specified early morning start to enjoy the sunrise but that didn't happen. When the sun rose we were asleep in the bus. We could've started the tour at 9am and it wouldn't make any difference. Also too little time for photos with llamas
The geysers themselves were very interesting but not so exciting as ones that we had seen elsewhere in the world.
Overall the tour was a great day out with a super guide who spoke really good English. I would go on it again as we saw some wonderful country.
I provided the pick up address 2months in advance, and reconfirmed this and the pick up time 48 hours before the tour. But despite getting up at 03:15 the bus did not turn up. The Chile enquiry number would not answer when we tried 15 mins after the agrred time, until eventually 30 mins later someone answered who was working from home and based in Santiago. They said they could not find the booking snd slso was unable to contact a different local company tgat was actually providing the tour. We shall see what happens now. So far quite unimpressed by losing a day of holiday.
The bus was uncomfortable. The geysers were good, but the breakfast was not. The village was disappointing. It is too long and not really worth it for those who have seen Yellowstone park or other geysers.
This was a fine tour, and the people contractor Touristour were great. But there was little value added beyond the transit to get to these places, and that's what you're paying for with one exception, which I'll note on that tour's review. Our bus broke down on the way there, so we missed the geysers at dawn. But the company brought substitute transport as soon as possible and was good spirited about it all I can't see blaming them for one of those things that happens. Anyway, though, if you have time and resources to rent a 4WD instead, you would be well advised to do so.
Collected on time, and our guide was very pleasant. We were not rushed thru the geyser area, and he took time to explain different features along the way in both spanish and English. The hot pool was disappointing, only really tepid, with a few warm spots.