- 4 hours 30 minutes (Approx.)
- Mobile ticket
Learn about the principles of basic astronomy, the history of Polynesian voyaging and settlement, navigational techniques and the archeo-astronomy of Rapa Nui. Head out to some of the island’s traditional observatory sites to gaze at the night sky and view stars and constellations visible only in the Southern Hemisphere.
Your guide will point out stars and constellations of interest to the Polynesian navigators, relating some of the stories and legends that are tied to them, and explain techniques on how to find certain cardinal points of the traditional Polynesian compass by using the layout of the night sky. Look at the beauty of star clusters, nebulae, galaxies, stars and planets visible through our high-powered telescope before of heading to Anakena Beach with the option of taking spectacular shots of the star-filled sky moai in the foreground. Finish the night with a hot beverage and a slice of poʻe, a local spin on banana bread.
- Live commentary on board
- Hotel Drop-off
- Small-group tour (max 16 people)
- Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
Rapa Nui Stargazing
20:00 - 20:30 pm
Atamu Tekena, Hanga Roa, Isla de Pascua, Región de Valparaíso, Chile
The Rapa Nui Stargazing Experience includes –
A short presentation on basic astronomy, Polynesian navigation and archeo-astronomy
General stargazing and explanation on navigational techniques at a remote observation site
Telescope observation of various stars, planets, nebulae, star clusters and galaxies
Options for night photography at Anakena Beach
Use of a red-light night vision head lamp
A hot beverage and slice of poʻe
Maximum of eight people per tour
Pick up from your accommodation between 8:00PM - 8:30PM.
Duration - 4.5 hours
8:00pm – 8:30pm – Pickup from accommodation
8:30pm – Presentation on Polynesian history, navigation, basic astronomy and archeo-astronomy at the Green Island Tours office
9:15pm – Drive to observation site
9:45pm – Observation site – Set up telescope, general overview of sky layout, stars and constellations of significance
10:00pm – Look at visible planets, nebulae, stars and clusters through telescope and binoculars
11:30pm – Head to Anakena
11:45pm – Anakena – Option of night photography by the moai
12:15pm – Head to Hanga Roa
12:45pm – Drop off at accommodation
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Subject to favorable weather conditions. If canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund.
- Please note that if weather changes while out on the tour we will try to take you out again free of charge on another night (subject to availability). No refunds after the tour starts.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.