- 11 hours (Approx.)
- Hotel pickup offered
- Mobile ticket
Rise early and hike to the iconic Paine Towers on this full-day tour from Puerto Natales. Explore the diverse landscapes of Torres del Paine National Park during a moderately difficult trek across Ascencio Valley, up and down switchbacks, over streams and through a peaceful lenga forest. Ascend a great moraine and at the top of these barren slopes, marvel at the three spikes of granite soaring into the sky and a brilliant glacial lake below. This small-group tour is limited to six people, ensuring personalized attention from an expert guide for a memorable experience.
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Lunch included
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned vehicle
- Professional guide
- Boxed lunch
- Entrance fee to Torres del Paine National Park (approx. USD $48)
Tour departs from Puerto Natales hotels
Returns to original departure point
After early morning hotel pickup from Puerto Natales, travel by minivan with your guide north for about 70 miles (112 km) and enter the eastern side of Torres del Paine National Park (entrance fee at own expense). Located in southern Chilean Patagonia, the 447,000 acres (181,000 hectares) that make up the park abound with mountains, glaciers, lakes and valleys. With its broad diversity of vegetation and animal life, the park was designated a biosphere reserve by UNESCO in 1978.
The crown jewel of your guided hike is a close-up view of the three granite towers that give the park its name: Torres del Paine, meaning ‘Blue Towers of the Sky.’ To get there, tackle a moderately difficult trek full of wondrous sights.
During the first 90 minutes or so, huff your way up a series of switchbacks over Ascencio Valley; your efforts are rewarded with views of pristine Nordenskjöld Lake. Then walk under the hanging glaciers of snowcapped Mount Almirante Nieto, reaching 8,760 feet (2,670 meters) above sea level. Your guide ensures you take plenty of breaks as needed along the way. The trail levels off eventually, but can dip and climb up to 200 feet (61 meters) as it snakes around a mountain, with the Ascencio River gurgling below.
After several hours of hiking, enjoy a well-earned 20-minute stop at Refugio El Chile, where you can purchase snacks and beverages (own expense).
Refreshed, return to the trail and enter a lenga forest. Experience a sense of well-being and calm as you trod on soft ground amid the tangle of beautiful beech trees. After about an hour in the woods, emerge onto a moraine, a mass of rocks piled on top of one another. Your guide informs you that your destination lies ahead . . . and up.
Watch your footing on the gravel trail during this arduous ascent of switchbacks, lasting approximately 45 minutes. Suddenly, a glorious example of nature appears within sight: a turquoise-colored glacial lake, surrounded by the three jagged towers.
Follow your guide to the lookout point, and capture amazing views of the Paine Towers and Cerro Nido de Cóndor. The northern tower stands 8,530 feet (2,600 meters) above sea level, the central tower at 9,186 feet (2,800 meters), and the southern tower at 9,350 feet (2,850 meters).
Plant yourself on a boulder in this majestic landscape and dig into the boxed lunch provided, which typically includes two sandwiches, a bar of chocolate and one bottle each of water and juice. During your quiet period of appreciation here, you may glimpse condors swooping high over thermal currents.
Then take one more look at this nature wonderland before taking the same route back to reach the minivan. Relax your tired legs on the return ride to Puerto Natales, knowing that the trek was worth every sapping breath.
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 13 years
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Not recommended for participants with back problems, heart complaints or other serious medical conditions
- Walking is involved in this tour. A medium rythm needs to be maintained along the route
- A good level of fitness is required
- Please wear comfortable clothes and trekking shoes
- Please bring a jacket, gloves, a hat, sunscreen and trekking poles
- It is recommended that you carry a small backpack and bring additional snacks and beverages
- Small-group tour limited to six people
- Please note: this is a seasonal tour -- only operating October-March
- In case a traveller decides to give up for personal reasons no refund will be issued
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.