- 9 days (Approx.)
- Hotel pickup offered
- Mobile ticket
Wild Atacama, Horse back riding expedition.
A trip where time has stood still between the desert and plateau in northern Chile. The sound of the horses galloping in a wild landscape, walking paths and the ancient Inca trail that was later used by Spanish conquistadors. But above all, a course outside the traditional paths, allowing a unique approach to the people who inhabit the small typical villages that cross our path.
A journey of 9 days, which runs through the territory of indigenous peoples from Chiu Chiu to San Pedro de Atacama.
- Accommodation: First and last night in comfortable rooms in cozy Guesthouses . Based on double-rooms. All other nights we camp in the desert. You will be sleeping in Iglo tents with space for 2 persons in each tent. Beside this there is 1 big kitchen/social DOME.
- Meals: full board. (From dinner first day to breakfast last day)
- Guides: Bilingual guide Specialized (NCh2950), Wilderness First Rresponder and Chilean Huasos.
- Backup Vehicle: brings your personal luggage to the daily overnight camp place.
- Horses & tack, including saddle bags
- Transfer: From and to the Airport of Calama. (City: Calama / Name of the Airport: El Loa / Airportcode: C J C)
- Mineral water during the tour.
- Bottled water
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Insurance: We request you take a travel Insurance. Ask your local insurance company or travel agent about it. You will not be allowed to participate at the trail ride without having a personal travel insurance.
- Flight: international and local flights are not included.Gateway is Calama (CJC)
- Alcoholic beverages & soft drinks: cheap
- Single Supplement
- Personal expenses.
- Sleeping bag.
- Leggins, globes and sunglasses.
- Services not mentioned in the program.
- Extra drinks.
Picking Up at 15.00 hrs in CJC (Calama's Airport)
Transfer from Calama's airport to Chiu Chiu. Overnight in Chiu Chiu.
Day 2 (6 hrs riding)
After breakfast we visit the oldest church of Chile, the church of San Lucas of Chiu Chiu, build in 1600. We leave the village behind us and head towards the lake Laguna Inka Coya. From there we follow the riverbed of Rio Salado until the old corrals.
Day 3 (7 hrs riding.)
We ride along the river Rio Salado and follow part of the pilgrim route of the Virgin Aiquina. The mighty volcanoes San Pedro, San Pablo and Paniri are watching us from nearby. We continue along the canyon where we probably come across herds of wild donkeys until we reach the vast plains of Turi (3,100mts).
Day 4 (6 hrs riding.)
An early bath in the natural mineral baths of Turi. We ride and visit the Pucara of Turi, the largest fortress built by the Atacameño people. We continue our expediton to Caspana and visit this typical village, surrounded by a fertile valley where we see its many terraced crops and fruit trees. The village has only 400 inhabitants and the houses are built in liparita clay.
Day 5 (9 hrs riding)
We leave the village of Caspana and climb following an Inca trail until we reach a high plateau. After four hours of riding we arrive at the Chita mountain. We follow our path to the top of the plateau where we ride for about four more hours with a breathtaking view of all the peaks and volcanoes surrounding us. At the end of our day we descend a long slope that leads us to the bottom of a huge and very rugged canyon with small salt flats. We visit one of the few locals who live in a natural cave and continue to ride in the canyon till we reach Turcapo.
Day 6 (8 hrs riding.)
We begin riding between the orchards of the local inhabitants, then ride up a beautiful slope reaching a plateau. We cross this plateau through the Inca Trail and descend towards the Rio Grande where we will appreciate an oasis in the valley.
Day 7 (7 hrs riding.)
We leave Rio Grande climbing up the hill with our horses till we reach the pampa. From here we follow the Inca Trail again and descend for a long time through small hills but with big views of the snow covered volcanoes and mountains. In the distance spotting the spars vegetation of San Pedro de Atacama. We continue the ride through San Bartolo to reach the place where the rivers Rio Salado and Rio Grande meet.
Day 8 (7 hrs riding.)
We follow the Rio Grande river till we reach the Valley of Death (Valle de la Muerte). Here we follow the path till Valle de la Luna. Sand dunes and fantastic surroundings is the ideal décor for our last gallop in the Atacama desert.
Overnight in San Pedro Atacama.
After breakfast your transfer will be waiting to take you back to the airport.
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.