- 9 hours (Approx.)
- Mobile ticket
Get outta town! Go beyond the usual tourist bus experience on this tour that will literally take you out of Mexico City to see Teotihuacan pyramids, try local "delights" like cactus candy, sip on ancient pre-Hispanic brews, and dine at a local family home where you'll enjoy authentic dishes made and served by them. The best part: you’ll be supporting local family businesses, to really give you an itinerary worth bragging about.
- All entrance fees included
- Dinner included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- English-speaking local guide
- Dinner in a local home
- Public or private transportation (depending on the size of the group)
- Samples of cactus product
- Entry/Admission - Mexico City Urban Adventures
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
MUMEDI, Av Francisco I. Madero 74, Centro Histórico de la Cdad. de México, Centro, 06000 Ciudad de México, CDMX, Mexico
Returns to original departure point
Monday to Saturday
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Mexico City Urban Adventures, Avenida Chapultepec 540 Piso 7, Mexico City 06140 Mexico
As we head out of Mexico City, we’ll make a stop at the archaeological wonder that is the Teotihuacan pyramids, where your guide will fill you in on the mysterious history of this sacred site. As you tour the grounds, you’ll see the Moon Pyramid, the Calzada de los Muertos (Dead Pass), and the Sun Pyramid, which is the tallest and most spectacular in the area — it’s 63 meters to the top (and yes, we’re going up).
After exploring the pyramids, we will make our way to a family-run factory/shop that specializes in local products. We will learn about ‘obsidian’ — the material that the Teotihuacan people used to make their tools, idols, and decorations and you’ll be encouraged to take a sip of an ancient, sacred drink called pulque, which is extracted from the heart of the maguey (another kind of cactus) — considered by some to be the great-grandfather of tequila. On top of those gems, you’ll find jams, candies, spicy lollies and plenty more products made by local people from the endemic vegetation around them such as nopal, xoconostle and tuna (a cactus fruit, not tuna fish!). Souvenir shopping has never been this much fun!
After working up an appetite climbing pyramids and shopping for souvenirs, we’ll take you to a friend’s house for a memorable dinner. You will be welcomed into their traditional home where you’ll try authentic, local flavors (the family run a very successful catering business, so you are in the right hands!)
After dinner, we’ll head back to Mexico City, happy, full, and relaxed from our wonderful day exploring life outside the hustle and bustle of the big city.
Duration: 9 hours
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 6 years
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- We recommend dressing comfortably and wearing comfortable walking shoes. Bring a light jacket or sweater, and during the rainy season (May to September) we recommend bringing a raincoat or umbrella. Leave your valuables, such as passports and credit cards, in the hotel and bring a small amount of spending cash. Keep large cameras discreetly stored in a backpack. Along the way you can purchase drinks (energy drink, beer, pulque, water, etc) so bring some extra money for that, if you’d like.
- Some of the places visited along the route are local houses and businesses, which have irregular opening hours. Our route and stops may vary to make sure you have a unique and genuine Mexican experience.
- Please note that we may use a mixture of public and private transport during this tour, depending on the number of travellers in the group (if there are 8 travellers or more, we will use private transport).
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.