- 7 hours (Approx.)
- Mobile ticket
Can you imagine swimming with a 14-meter-long animal? Whale sharks, the biggest fish in the world, come every year to visit Holbox. They are totally harmless, so you will be able to swim by their side in an amazing and life changing experience. During the boat trip, you may see turtles, giant manta rays, dolphins, flamingos and/or many other species.
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- See native wildlife in their natural environment
- Once-in-a-Lifetime Experience
- Boat with GPS.
- Cooler with water and sodas.
- Snorkeling equipment.
- Bilingual guide.
- Light breakfast in Luuma: coffee, tea, fruits, yoghurt and sweet buns.
- Ham and cheese sandwich.
- Our famous ceviche.
- Guacamole and mango for thos who do not eat fish.
- In case you do not eat the included food, you can take fruits from the breakfast table to the tour.
- Taxi to meeting point will only be provided on request. Contact us in advance (at least 18 hs before the tour) in case you need one.
- Entry/Admission - Yum Balam Reserve
Isla Holbox, 32, Cancún, Q.R., Mexico
Approximately from May 15th to September 17th, dependent on when the whale shark migrate to the area
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Yum Balam Reserve, Holbox Island, Yucatan Peninsula
You will meet with your guide and group at the local restaurant Luuma (one block away from the tour operator's office) in Isla Holbox at 7am. There, you will have a small briefing and get all the necessary equipment. You will also enjoy a light breakfast to have a great start.
Then, you will walk to the pier, where the boat is waiting to start the journey to find the whale sharks. The trip will take you between one and two hours and you may find different species on the way (if you see a giant manta and its behavior permits it, you can also swim with this harmless creature). Once in the area, you will swim by the whale shark in groups of two plus the guide, for safety reasons and to ensure you get the best experience.
On the way back, you will stop near Cabo Catoche to snorkel the "cuevones" reef and maybe see sea turtles, nurse sharks, lobsters, squids, octopuses, and different reef fish. During the journey, you will get some catch of the day from a fisherman and prepare the freshest ceviche. Finally, you will go to Santa Paula, where you can stretch your legs, have a pleasant swim and enjoy the ceviche. From this point, you have a 45-minute journey back to Holbox.
Duration: 7 hours
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children under 6 years old are not allowed.
- Season starts officialy May 15, but the arrival of whale sharks to the area vary each year.
- Subject to favorable weather conditions. If cancelled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Overall this was an A experience. The only suggestion is that they cut out the ‘lagoon’ break at the end of the trip and add a 3rd encounter with the whale sharks or just get back to the dock earlier. Excellent staff, boats are as comfortable as a small boat can be. Food is adequate. Note- ticket says meet them at 630..... it’s actually 7am so don’t rush to get there earlier.