- 8 hours (Approx.)
- Hotel pickup offered
- Mobile ticket
This tour runs Tuesdays and Thursdays. A combination of cultural delights and village kitchens flavors. During this 8-hour guided tour we'll delve into the culinary scene of rural Oaxaca by visiting artisanal food workshops and mama's kitchen with the smoky seasoning of a cooking fire.Make chocolate from cacao beans, sample mole from a local recipe passed down from generation to generation and learn how Oaxaca's legendary distillery, mezcal, is made.
- Demonstrations and hands-on experience
- Home cooked lunch
- Artisan fees
- Suberb bilingual guide (cultural ambassador)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (hotels within downtown only)
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
Pick up at your place of stay (Subject to Centrally located Oaxaca Hotels)
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time
Times are subject to change due to local traffic conditions.
You will be met 9am at your hotel by the guide and get ready to time-travel into the Tlacolula valley in a private, air conditioned vehicle to deep dive into Oaxacan culture for the day. Learn traditional family recipes, prepare authentic chocolate, experience local hospitality, sample good mezcal and learn from a master about the varieties and moods of agave plants. First stop is about 45 minutes down the road at a local and welcoming Zapotec Market. Then we visit a woman who makes chocolate by grinding cacao beans on a grinding stone—a hands-on experience including drinking fresh handmade hot chocolate, Oaxacan style! Afterwards, we visit the home of a village cook who'll teach us how to make mole (mole-ey) sauce in the traditional way. Mole will be a mouth watering part of our fabulous lunch with our host family. To wrap up the day we meet an agave whisperer at his farm and end our visits at a "palenque" where distillers will tell tale of the art of making their old time village elixir, mezcal! When it’s all said and done you’ll have spent the day visiting, tasting and joyfully learning the way into the culture of Oaxaca and the heritage of Mexico, traveling beyond the standard tourist routes and, while learning about Mexico’s food, you’ll also meet the big-hearted, deeply-rooted people that are this country’s heart.
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Will be operated by a bi-lingual guide
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.