- 9 hours (Approx.)
- Mobile ticket
Get up close to thousands of pink flamingos and other incredible wildlife species on a boat ride through the estuary of Celestun Wildlife Refuge. This official Biosphere Reserve is home for mammal species and you’re sure to spot some of them on this day trip from Merida! Your knowledgeable guide will point out pelicans and other birds as you coast through the mangroves, with a visit to a local beach in Celestun.
- Family friendly
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Professional English- and Spanish-speaking guide
- Boat ride
- Transportation from meeting point in Merida
- Drinks (available for purchase)
- Hotel pick up and drop off
1: San Juan Park, Calle 67A 529, Centro, 97000 Mérida, Yuc., Mexico
2: Gran Hotel, Calle 60 496, Centro, 97000 Mérida, Yuc., Mexico
3: McDonald's, Paseo de Montejo 454, Itzimná, 97100 Mérida, Yuc., Mexico
4: Mayan World Museum of Mérida, Calle 60 299 E, Unidad Revolución, 97110 Mérida, Yuc., Mexico
Returns to original departure point
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Gray Line Yucatán, Calle 35 #507c, Centro, 97000 Mérida, Yuc., Mexico
Please call us to confirm pick up time and meeting point location,
Pass By: Celestun Wildlife Refuge, Mexico
Get acquainted with your small group aboard the comfortable minivan before you reach Celestun Wildlife Refuge.
From the port, embark on a boat ride down the Celestun estuary – where stream currents meet the ocean tide on their way to the sea – inhabited by some of the most diverse bird species of the Yucatan!
Cruise through the mangroves on a boat ride and witness a spectacular show of pink flamingos – also called Caribbean flamingos – as they fly overhead. Watch thousands of the birds flock on shore as they eat the shrimp-like crustaceans that give the flamingos their unique pink color. The declared Biosphere Reserve is one of the only places in the world to view such numbers of these fascinating birds in the wild!
The estuary is a natural breeding ground for the flamingos and other birds after their long migrations along the eastern coast of the Yucatan. Keep an eye out for the American white pelican, one of the largest birds in North America, with a wingspan reaching up to 9.5 feet (3 meters).
Along the way, your guide will inform your small group about the mammal species of the region, including ocelots, spider monkeys and jaguars. Then, stop for a refreshing dip in the ojos de agua (eyes of water) – deep spring-fed pools hidden among natural tunnels of the estuary, formed among the mangroves.
Complete your day tour at a beach in central Celestun, where sand and sea of unrivaled beauty await you. You'll have time to swim and enjoy lunch here (by your own expensive).
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Please verify your near meeting point and schedule.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.