- 6 hours (Approx.)
- Mobile ticket
Explore the market with your guide, try local fruits, sip fruit juices and sample traditional empanadas, tamales, ‘cochinita pibil’ (slow-roasted pork) and ‘panuchos’ (tortillas stuffed with refried black beans), buy all the ingredients for the class on the market.
Experience a local bus ride to the host house and enjoy the cooking class with the host at her house, learn cooking secrets and enjoy the lunch with your host and refresh with soft drinks of the region and beers.
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
- Vegetarian meal option available
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Led by a local guide
- Instant Confirmation
- Local guide
- Local taxes
- Food tasting
- Items of personal nature
- Tips to the guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Returns to original departure point
Monday to Saturday
You start your activity by having a walk through Merida’s downtown. Your guide will give a quick briefing on the most important buildings overlooking the Main Square, and then walk with you to one of the main markets of Merida, Lucas de Galvez.
Your guide will talk in depth about the regional fruits and vegetables, as well as the recados, the achiote, the peppers in general and especially the chile habanero and xcatic. All of this while shopping for everything you need for your traditional family lunch.
Once you have everything, take a public bus with your guide to the local hostess’s home for the cooking class. Yucatecan cuisine has one of the most varied arrays of delicious dishes among the 32 states of Mexico. Some of them are unique to the Yucatan and very hard to find outside of the peninsula, while others are eaten throughout the country. The influence of ancient Mayans, Spaniards, French and Lebanese are specially noted in the cuisine.
While you cook, chop, fry, and get the dishes ready, your hostess and guide will explain some of the local traditions, the influence of other cultures in Yucatan and the differences between the Yucatecos and the people from other parts of Mexico. You will also learn some Spanish and Mayan words while tasting the delicious dishes prepared by yourself!
You will enjoy a three course meal, including appetizers, main course and dessert. Beer and soft drinks like hibiscus flower tea, or chaya water are included. Please advise in advance if you are vegan or vegetarian, because there are many dishes you will enjoy!
Your experience with Yucatecan cuisine comes to an end after a long chat with your host, and its time to say good bye to your new friends. Your guide will take you in a cab back to Downtown.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children under 8 years are free of charge
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Vegetarian and Vegan option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- A minimum of 2 Adults per booking is required
- Transportation is by public bus and taxi back to downtown
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
This was an excellent tour and we really enjoyed it thanks to Rudolfo and Laura. We loved both parts - the visit to the market and the cooking experience itself. We did review the tour right after our trip and expected to receive the recipes but they never arrived. We hope to see them soon.