- 2 hours (Approx.)
- Mobile ticket
With easy access to the ocean via the wild and scenic Chetco River mouth, the Brookings ocean tour offers a variety of experiences ranging from frequent pelican, seal and sea lion sightings to picturesque coves as well as a wide range of ocean plant life at Chetco Point. The start of your tour in the boat basin offers easy, calm waters where you can view the many different commercial fishing boats and pleasure craft moored up to the docks. Total ocean paddling distance is about 3.3 miles.
- Close encounter with wildlife
- See native wildlife in their natural environment
- Led by a local guide
- Small-group tour
- Travel by boat and see the sights from the water
- Popular choice with kids
- Local guide
- Pictures of the tour via email
- Great low impact exercise
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
Port of Brookings-Harbor
Meet at 8am on the dock. The tours depart around 8:30am
Daily from April to October
We meet at the dock in the boat basin where we have our safety talk and get equipped with wetsuits, booties and personal flotation devices. You get comfortable with your kayak in the calm waters of the estuary before making the paddle into the Pacific Ocean and out to Chetco Point. On your way out to the ocean you can view the many recreational fishing vessels and sailboats moored to the docks as well as the many different birds, sea lions and harbor seals. Crossing the Chetco River bar is as easy as it gets in Oregon. This heavily protected river mouth is a breeze to cross and once you hit the ocean everything changes. We paddle through kelp forests, offshore rocks and coves until we reach Chetco Point where we can take a quick break on the protected beach to stretch our legs. There are usually Brown Pelicans, Pigeon Guillemots, Osprey, Cormorants and Common Murres as well as lots of curious Harbor Seals! Sometimes the seals get close enough to get some good pictures and swim under our kayaks. Often times paddlers can get close experiences with the migrating or summer resident Gray Whales. Harbor Porpoise are also sometimes seen on this paddle. Round trip usually takes around 2 hours and the paddling difficulty is easy to medium level.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Bring clothing that can go under a wetsuit like bathing suits (no jeans) or water pants
- Bring a jacket to go over the farmer john wetsuits (there are no sleeves on suits)
- Hats and/or beanies and sunglasses are nice to have
- Not recommended for participants with serious back problems
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
Very easy to operate sit-on top 12 foot kayaks with direction control in your feet through a rudder system. Very stable boat and very heavy. Good for beginners who have very little ocean kayaking experience because the guide choose the calmer part of the bay by going north to Chetco Point. Guide pointed out wildlife along the way. Suitable for family with young children and parental supervision. Kayaking time between two and three hours.