- 4 hours (Approx.)
- Hotel pickup offered
- Mobile ticket
Go to La Boquilla, neighborhood in Cartagena, where you can learn how single mothers make gorgeous handicrafts from coconuts to sustain their families.
- Bilingual guide
- Transfer City Centre/La Boquilla/ City Centre
- Introduction to the World of Coconut handcrafts.
- Cold Coconut Refreshment.
- Hand crafted coconut souvenir.
- Additional Drinks
- Personal expenses or tips
At the hotel
At the hotel
Planning on going to Cartagena or are you already there? We bet you haven’t discovered. La Boquilla yet; we give you the opportunity to discover it while you support an amazing project. The project Madres-Cabeza de Familia y sus Cocos (Mothers head of the family and their coconuts) is an association of 7 women. In 2008 they took part in a crafts-class sponsored by the foundation ProBoquilla, nowadays they produce jewelry, silverware,containers, vases, belts, and accessories out of coconuts, and the best of it is that they will gladly teach you how to make your own souvenirs.
The process isn’t as easy as we put it; in order to produce something, a lot of work and time are required. First, the coconuts must be soaked, cleaned and cut; this process takes up several hours. After, they have to be polished; a tough labor that must be done with several breaks in between. Despite the time-consuming nature of this process, all the time put in it is definitely be worth it when you see the end results. Not only is it an amusing and interesting process, but also the women in charge of it are really incredible. Women with amazing personalities shaped by their life stories, who are making beautiful things with simple means and are always willing to share their knowledge.
Regarding the day’ schedule, here is a bit more information on how it will go. First, we’ll drive to La Boquilla where you’ll be greeted by the “coconut-ladies” who’ll introduce you to the art of making souvenirs out of coconuts. Participants get the opportunity to make their own souvenir out of the prepared pieces of coconut. You’ll also get a cold coconut beverage, undoubtedly the perfect welcoming treat, while working in a rustic restaurant on the beach at La Boquilla.
After you finish your unique handcraft souvenir, you will get the chance to go for a swim in the Caribbean Sea before we go back to your hotel. If you choose to stay at the beach for some more time, you can book a delayed transport for an additional charge
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Lunch with Fish: Fried fish with coconut rice, salad and plantain (20.000COP)
- Lunch with Seafood: Seafood stew with coconut rice, salad and plantain (35.000 COP)
- Folklore dance-performance 15-20 min (350.000 COP per performance)
- The order of tour activities may be modified by climatic factors. Please read our terms and conditions page before booking
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.