- 4 hours (Approx.)
- Mobile ticket
When you visit Cartagena, you see many handcrafts being sold on the street by local vendors. Yet, you miss out on the most important thing: they are indigenous peoples, froma the Zenú culture. Their over 3.000 year old weaving techniques have given Colombians on of their identitary object, the Sombrero Vueltiao. Learn about the Zenús directly from them. Visit the Zenú museum with a unique indigenous guidance and then visit the neighborhood where a big Zenú family migrated to. There you will see their workshop and learn their weave from them. You will have a chance to purchase exclusive objects directly from those who make them, improving their incoming and promoting fair market values.
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- TripAdvisor Experiences brokerage fee
- Bottled water
- Light refreshments
- All activities
- Local guide
- Hotel drop-off (selected hotels only)
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Workshop with the indigenous women
- Caña flecha pieces are for sale and not included in the tour. Yet, by buying them directly at the workshop, they have very good prices.
MUSEO DEL ORO ZENÚ (Gold Museum) lobby
Parque de Bolívar
Our meeting point is the Gold Museum in Parque Bolivar, where we spend an hour in a tour guided by the only Zenú indigenous guide the museum has. Feel compelled about his knowledge and pride in his almost 4.000 year old culture. After a short walk to Parque de la Marina, you will ride an airconditioned van for 20-25 minutes to Daniel Lemaitre Neighborhood, where 20 indigenous families migrated to over 10 years ago. You will walk a little over 400 meters on a little slope to reach their workshop. Their neighborhood is a very interesting place with a beautiful view of the city. In the workshop you will spend an hour and a half learning the weaving techniques. You will be given a delicious traditional indigenous snack (similar to oatmeal), served the traditional way. Vegeterian friendly. If you are Vegan, let us know in advance. Aftr the snack, you go down to where the van is parked and back to your hotel (if in the city center).
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for people with walking difficulties. A moderate amount of walking is involved with uneven surfaces
- Not wheelchair accessible.
- Please bring confortable shoes and small purses or carryons. We prefer to leave big ones in the minivan.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.