- 6 hours (Approx.)
- Mobile ticket
Palo Verde River is a migratory sanctuary for tropical birds and the perfect tour for all ages. Year-round it is home to crocodiles and three types of monkeys, herons, egrets, king fishers, scarlet macaws and nesting ground for crocodiles.
Your tour begins in the morning, with pickup from your Guanacaste beach hotel. Driving an hour and a half, you will pass melon and papaya fields, grown for export from Costa Rica. Once on the river you will spend a couple of hours looking for wildlife and taking photos. After the boat tour, if on the AM tour you will stop to enjoy a typical lunch. If you are on the afternoon tour, you will return to your hotel.
Your tour continues to visit with local artisan who will demonstrate their craft, showing local skills passed down through generations. Pottery is available for purchase at the end of the tour.
Return to your hotel.
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- Popular choice with kids
- All entrance fees included
- Wildlife River Boat Tour
- Hot Typical Lunch with natural fruit beverage (*AM TOUR OPTION ONLY)
- Round trip ground transportation from Playa Hermosa, Playas del Coco, Playa Ocotal, RIU, Playa Conchal, Playa Flamingo, Portrero, Playa Tamarindo, Playa Grande and Playa Langosta hotels.
- Transportation from hotels outside Playa Hermosa, Playas del Coco, Playa Ocotal, RIU, Playa Conchal, Playa Flamingo, Portrero, Playa Tamarindo, Playa Grande and Playa Langosta hotels. Please contact us before booking, we may pick up for the same price or additional charge, but check first.
- AFTERNOON BOAT TOUR - LUNCH IS NOT INCLUDED
Traveler pickup is offered
Hotel pickups commence approximately 30 - 60 minutes prior to this time
Returns to original departure point
Ground transportation is provided from most Playa Hermosa, Playas del Coco, Playa Ocotal, Playa Panama, Playa Conchal, Flamingo, Tamarindo, Playa Langosta and Portrero hotels.
AM Boat Tour-Pottery and Lunch:
Your tour begins with pickup from your Guanacaste beach hotel. Driving an hour and a half you will pass melon and papaya fields, grown for export from Costa Rica. Once on the river you will spend a couple of hours looking for wildlife and taking photos.
The comfortable, covered river boats allow your captain and guide to put you near the bank so you can get close enough to see the howler monkeys, boat-bill herons and bats that reside on tree bark and take photos. Impressive American crocodiles nest on this river and, if they are hatching, the guides will show you the little ones. Guests are often treated to close-up photos of white-faced capuchin monkeys in the trees near the river banks.
After the boat tour, you stop to enjoy a typical lunch served family style. Local cooks serve meals with steaming bowls of rice and black beans along with warm, homemade tortillas and refreshing a natural fruit beverage.
Your tour continues with artisans who demonstrate their craft, showing local skills passed down through generations. The indigenous residents gather local clay, throw the pieces, fire them in the pre-Columbian style of the Chorotegas (kilns) and polish or paint before adding the final glaze. It is an interesting presentation and you are welcome to take photos. Pottery is available for purchase at the end of the tour.
Be sure to wear comfortable clothes and shoes that will make it easy to get up and down the boat ramp. Apply sunscreen & insect repellent prior to pickup. Take a backpack with anything you will need for the remainder of the day including cash to tip knowledgeable and informative guides. Don’t forget your hat or visor, binoculars and a camera or phone to capture the wildlife encounters.
After the pottery tour, you will begin the drive back at your hotel.
Afternoon boat tour:
You will be picked up around 1 – 2 PM, and we will confirm time once you have made your reservation and we know the name of your hotel. Please be waiting in hotel lobby 15 minutes prior to reconfirmed departure time. After the boat tour
, you will begin the drive back at your hotel. Lunch NOT included.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum of 2 persons needed
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Weather permitting. Crew reserves the right to determine if necessary to cancel. If crew cancels, refund or alternate tour will be provided, dependent upon availability
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for wheelchairs
- Not responsible for damage to personal items brought on tour. Bring personal items at your own risk.
- Please be ready and waiting in the lobby of your hotel 15 minutes prior to reconfirmed departure time
- Drivers will not be able to wait for guests who are not ready when they arrive, and tour cost will be forfeited.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.