- 8 hours (Approx.)
- Hotel pickup offered
- Mobile ticket
Ceibal, the largest archaeological site in the southwestern Maya Lowlands, was once a center of power for the Mayan civilization. Visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site on a day trip with a professional guide. You’ll discover elaborate stelae that decorate the pyramids of three plazas in this remote spot, situated on the banks of the Passion River (Rio La Pasión). Your tour includes a box lunch and round-trip transport from Flores and Santa Elena Peten hotels, or Mundo Maya International Airport, plus a boat ride from Sayaxché to the site.
- All entrance fees included
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Lunch included
- Professional English- and Spanish-speaking guide
- Round-trip shared transfer
- Entry/Admission - Ceibal
Traveler pickup is offered
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Ceibal, Sayaxche Guatemala
After pickup from the airport or your hotel, you’ll be taken to Ceibal, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It’s an approximate 1-hour drive from Flores to Sayaxché, where you will continue by boat for another hour on the Passion River. Once you disembark, follow your guide from the river to the archaeological site—about a 30-minute hike through the rainforest. Keep an eye out for birds and other wildlife that inhabit the river region as you walk.
Start your guided tour of Ceibal at the central plaza, the heart of the Mayan world. You’ll have several hours to explore the beautifully preserved temples and stelae in this magnificent Mayan city, whose name comes from the national ceiba tree—considered sacred to the ancient Maya.
Ceibal was inhabited during two main periods—the Late Preclassic (300 BC-250 AD) and Terminal Classic (830-950 AD)—until the site was completely abandoned. Known for exquisite Mayan art carvings, the excavated structures of Ceibal are located in dense forest on the banks of the Passion River. Surrounded by lush tropical vegetation, you’ll appreciate the intricate stelae that adorn the buildings, sculpted with the figures of animals and gods.
As you view Ceibal’s monumental structures, your guide will inform your group about the north, south and central plazas that contain pyramids and a ball court. Admire the hieroglyphic stairway and altars from the 330-foot (100-meter) bluffs.
When you’ve completed your tour, you’ll have time to enjoy a complimentary lunch. Afterward, return to Sayaxché and onward, with drop-off at your hotel or the airport in the afternoon.
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A minimum of 4 people per booking is required
- If you are lodging at a hotel on the Island of Flores, please be requested to move to our meeting point (Hotel Ramada, Calle playa sur, Isla de Flores Peten) to be picked up for your excursion. Our tour guide or driver pick up you around 08:00 hours please be sure to be at that time at the indicated place
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.