- 10 hours (Approx.)
- Hotel pickup offered
- Mobile ticket
Relax into nature during this private daylong tour from Mazatlan. In the company of a professional naturalist and local guides, visit the Tufted Jay Preserve, located among beautiful pine and oak forests in the heart of the Sierra Madre mountains. See incredible landscapes and many species of birds (including the endemic Tufted jay, Trogons, Hummingbirds, Warblers, and many more) as you hike peaceful mountain trails through some of the best birding locations in Northwest Mexico. You will enjoy a traditional meal with a local family at the town of El Pamito, great way to meet the locals and contribute to the livelihoods of the caretakers of this mountains.
- Private tour is operated with just your party and a guide/driver
- Get up-close to native wildlife
- Flexibility to customize your itinerary to your own preferences
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Led by a local guide
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- Private guide
- Live commentary on board
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Private tour
- Souvenir photos (available to purchase)
Returns to original departure point
Daily departures at 6:30 am.
On this adventure you will visit the Tufted Jay Preserve, located among beautiful pine and oak forests in the heart of the Sierra Madre Mountains, 2,000 m above sea level, near the border of the states of Durango and Sinaloa. This particular ecosystem is the year round home for the Tufted Jay or “Chara Pinta”, an elusive bird species endemic to these forests.
After a 1.5 hr drive up the Mazatlan-Durango scenic highway you will stop on a lookout for a quick breakfast. Coffee, pastries and fruit for a good starter! You will then continue for 30 minutes to get to the preserve where you will meet your experienced local guide “Don Santos” who will take you out on an amazing hiking experience through the trails and canyons of the preserve in search for the Chara Pinta, and other interesting birds like the Red Warbler, the mountain Trogon, up to 7 species of hummingbirds, flycatchers and more.
You will stop on several lookouts for some great photo opportunities and breathtaking scenery. After your hiking adventure you will enjoy delicious traditional corn “gorditas” for lunch hosted by Don Santos family, a great way to get to meet the locals, its traditions and way of life. On your way back home you will take the Durango-Mazatlan highway bound to Mazatlan.The tour concludes when you're dropped off at your Mazatlan hotel around 5pm.
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Not recommended for child aged 11 and under
- At time of booking, Cruise ship passengers must provide the following information at time of booking: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
- Refunds will not be issued if tour/activity is missed due to late or non-arrival of cruise ship
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- A maximum of 12 people per booking
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.