- 4 hours (Approx.)
- Mobile ticket
The Chilkoot Hike and Float Tour is an active, family-oriented hiking adventure along the world famous Chilkoot Trail. This wilderness hike takes place in the heart of the Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park and is Skagway's most affordable hiking and rafting adventure tour.
When your cruise ship docks, depart Skagway for a 10-mile (16 km) van tour along the coastline to the Chilkoot Trail trailhead and then enjoy 1.5 to 2 hours of hiking and 45 minutes on the raft. Have your camera ready for occasional wildlife sightings both on land and in the water.
- See native wildlife in their natural environment
- Led by a local guide
- Free port pickup and drop-off included
- Chilkoot trail hike and float tour
- Professional guide
- Port pickup and drop off
Port of Skagway, Skagway, AK 99840, USA
Returns to original departure point
This guided 2.0-mile (3.2-km) hike on the world-famous Chilkoot Trail runs through spectacular temperate rainforest. It’s a moderate-strenuous hike and is fairly steep over uneven terrain for the first half mile (0.8 km), going uphill for about 300 feet elevation (92 meters) and then back downhill the same elevation and distance, with the remaining mile on level ground for the last mile. This is an active tour for people wanting to get some good exercise with great scenery and beautiful nature surroundings.
Your guide will point out wildlife and native plants and tell stories of Skagway and the Klondike Gold Rush. Retrace the footsteps of stampeding prospectors who bypassed Skagway's White Pass Trail, to hike the Chilkoot Trail in order to reach the headwaters of the Yukon River. The Chilkoot Trail was the most direct route leading from the Skagway/Dyea area to the Klondike Gold Fields around Dawson City in the Yukon.
At the end of the hike, you will board an eight-eleven man rubber raft with your guide for a peaceful river float through the Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park on the Taiya River, which runs parallel to the historic Chilkoot Trail. As you continue floating down the Taiya River, you will see little evidence of human civilization. However, you may see or hear signs of wildlife, including bears, otters, salmon and eagles, all of which make their homes in the Taiya River Valley.
After your Taiya River float, you will be treated to a riverbank snack before ending your adventure back in Skagway and boarding your cruise ship.
Worry-free Shore Excursion: We will ensure your timely return back to the ship in Skagway for this activity. If your ship is delayed and you are unable attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 5 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Please see voucher for details regarding your departure point
- Please note: this is an active tour, so it is recommended to be in good physical condition and wear sturdy walking shoes with good traction
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Maximum per raft/group is 11
- Minimum age is 5
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.