- 6 hours (Approx.)
- Hotel pickup offered
- Mobile ticket
Today you will learn all about the wonders of Batik. The excursion will illuminate the history of the different patterns, fabrics, tools and motifs, whilst also revealing the many intricate stages in the process of making a finished cloth. You will also have a chance to make your batik, from designing your own pattern, to drawing it onto fabric with traditional spouted tool called canting. You can take your own batik creation home after class - the perfect souvenir from a fascinating day.
• UNESCO - Intangible World Heritage
• Dedicated guide with good knowledge in art, history and culture
• Batik class
- Return transfer from/to hotel using a mini van (joined transfer)
- Fee for 3 hours short course
- English-speaking driver/guide
- Prevailing government tax & service charge
- Alcoholic beverages, tipping for driver/guide
Your hotel in Yogyakarta
Your hotel in Yogyakarta
English speaking Guide : Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday
German speaking Guide : Sunday, Monday and Friday
French speaking Guide : Wednesday only
Dutch speaking Guide : Monday only
Following breakfast at your hotel, you will be picked up in the morning and then driven in an air-conditioned Panorama Destination vehicle to the south of Yogyakarta. Here you will visit an ancient factory, home of the city’s traditional batik makers. First, you will have the opportunity to watch the entire process, from stenciling and wax etchings on fabric, to printing and dyeing stages, all in the tranquil surroundings of the factory floor, centred around a peaceful garden. Next, then you will have the chance to make your very own batik. Start by drawing the motifs using a pencil, and then etch the outline in wax with a “canting” tool, before colouring the cloth and then finally removing the wax using boiling water.
The course is approximately three hours in total, after which you will have your own Batik design to take home as a beautiful memento of Yogyakarta!
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Confirmation is based upon availabilites
- Children (4 – 11 years old) must be accompanied by an adult
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.