- 8 to 9 hours (Approx.)
- Hotel pickup offered
- Mobile ticket
Leave the bustling city of Marrakech behind and watch the landscape change as you move through rural farmland into the Agafay desert.
On this 4x4 Day Trip you'll spend the day exploring the rocky terrain of the Agafay desert, Lalla Takerkoust lake, the Atlas Mountains, Berber villages and hospitality all make up for a great day tour. If you have 3 days or more, you may wish to consider a tour to the Sahara desert, but if not Visiting the Agafay Desert is a good option giving you just a taste of the aridness of the Great Sahara.
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport by air-conditioned 4WD with an English speaking experienced guide/driver
- Lunch in a Berber family house The food will be homemade : tomato salad or soup , Berber chicken tajine , couscous and fruits for dessert , mint tea and water
- Local taxes
- Fuel included
- Small-group tour
- Drinks water and mint tea
- Bottled water
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Gratuities (optional
- Soft Drinks Coca , orange
- Camel ride (optional ) (10 euros extra) you pay it directly to the camel owners
- Quad bike Not included (optional
Traveler pickup is offered
8.30 am to 9am the Pick up from your hotel .
Departure Point Hotels and Riads located in central Marrakech
If you are staying inside the Medina, your pickup will be at the closest point accessible to vehicles.
- Menara Airport, Marrakech Morocco
Returns to original departure point
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Arib Voyages Day Tours, Ksar Arib, Marrakech 40400 Morocco
This is a splendid trip during which you will discover the most diverse and spectacular landscapes. Your guide will pick you up at 9am at your accommodation place. Your 4x4 Day Trip drives you past lush vegetation, olive and orange orchards and the occasional village. Off the tarmac and onto off road, the scenery is completely different - barren light brown plateaux, a true stone desert. The locals call it Agafay desert: this might as well be the Sahara as the feeling of solitude.
For all those who haven’t got sufficient time in Morocco for a Sahara desert tour, all the way south then the Agafay desert is the best thing to do instead, the Agafay desert is not a Sand desert – but more sandstone and earthen plateau, traditional mud-built villages, dusty riverbeds are interspersed with spectacular sumptuous pasture and vegetation in springtime. There we can sample a tea with the locals or experience trekking by camel.
Later, we will drive further off-road passing by Lalla Takerkoust lake built as a dam which is in fact a hydro-electricity reservoir , and great spot for tea break also with a superb view over the lake and for those looking for a rush of adrenaline, quad biking or jet skiing can be arranged locally , and If you wish it, we will have time to get out of the 4X4 and walk for a while along the tracks.
After the lake, our itinerary takes us up into the Atlas Mountains. Kik Plateau is 1800 meters high and offers spectacular 360 degrees views and, in the spring, a marvellous spread of alpine flowers. Scattered Berber hamlets greet the view and it feels like you travelled back in time.
On the other side of the plateau, there is the Asni Valley in the heart of this lush area covered with apple, cherry and plum orchards sending out their harvest into the city. A nice Berber market is held on every Saturday where producers bring fruit, vegetables and livestock to sell. If you are interested in seeing a Berber souk, almost every village has one on a specific day of the week.
We will continue to climb upwards until you leave the main road at an altitude of over 2000 meters with views to the Mount Toubkal: the highest peak in Northern Africa culminating at 4167 meters, and often snowcapped . Then we will follow an ancient, partly paved Berber track to reach the Sidi Fares valley an authentic area famous for apple trees, here you will have LUNCH in a Berber house in a village overlooking the Atlas Mountains. The food will be homemade and organic: tomato salad, chicken tagine, couscous and fruits.
After lunch we will head off back to Marrakech, crossing the Sidi Fares valley small villages with their mud- brick adobe houses, stacked into the hillside or lining the water course shaded by the apple grove. The river gives place to the canyons and the local Berber granary towers over the landscape. Past Tahnaoute, the tarmac road follows its course among olive or orange orchards to reach Marrakech by afternoon.
Duration: 9 hours
Stop At: outdoorbest experiences, Agafay Morocco
1 Agafay desert: this might as well be the Sahara as the feeling of solitude.
2 Lalla Takerkoust lake built as a dam which is in fact a hydro-electricity reservoir , and great spot for tea break also with a superb view over the lake and for those looking for a rush of adrenaline, quad biking or jet skiing
3 Atlas Mountains. Kik Plateau is 1800 meters high and offers spectacular 360 degrees views and, in the spring, a marvellous spread of alpine flowers.
4 Asni Valley in the heart of this lush area covered with apple, cherry and plum orchards sending out their harvest into the city.
5 Berber market is held on every Saturday where producers bring fruit, vegetables and livestock to sell.
6 views to the Mount Toubkal: the highest peak in Northern Africa culminating at 4167 meters, and often snowcapped .
7 Sidi Fares valley an authentic area famous for apple trees, here you will have LUNCH in a Berber house in a village overlooking the Atlas Mountains.
8 LUNCH in a Berber house in a village overlooking the Atlas Mountains. The food will be homemade and organic
Duration: 9 hours
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infant seats available
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A minimum of two people are required for this tour to operate. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is only one person booked onto the tour. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult
- Operated by a multi-lingual guide
- Short hike in nice open area before lunch or after , for about 30 min or more (optional )
- Visit Weekly local market ( possible only Saturday Sunday and Tuesday ) (optional )
- Small-group tour
- A conservative dress code is recommended in Morocco. Men and women should keep their upper body (especially shoulders, chest and midriff) as well as their knees covered at all times as a sign of respect to the local culture. Wearing shorts is not recommended
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- Service animals allowed
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 20 travelers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.