- 4 hours (Approx.)
- Hotel pickup offered
- Mobile ticket
Saint-Petersburg Sightseeing Tour allows you the leisure and comfort of a chauffeured drive taking in sights across the city, with personalized commentary from an experienced and informed guide.
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Transportation by car or mini van.
- Assistance of an English-speaking local guide (German, French, Italian, Spanish upon request)
- Entry/Admission - Peter and Paul Fortress
- Personal expenses
Traveler pickup is offered
Departure and return point: your centrally located St Petersburg hotel
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Nevsky Prospekt, St. Petersburg 191025 Russia
Take a drive along the "Great Perspective" world famous today as Nevsky Prospect lined with marble palaces of Russian royalty and aristocracy, with most fashionable boutiques and art salons arranged in old settings of the 18th century, trading rows and arcades, with impressive classical and Renaissance cathedrals.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Rostral Columns, Birzhebaya Sq., St. Petersburg 199034 Russia
You have an excellent picture opportunity with a stunning panorama along the Neva's embankments; by the city's Rostral Columns you will have a view of the 5 buildings of theState Hermitage Museum, the Admiralty and St.Isaac's Cathedral.
Rostral columns - architectural structures in the center of St. Petersburg, on the Spit of Vasilyevsky Island - were erected in 1810 according to the design of the French architect Tom de Thomon, who decorated them with the roosts of ships, that is, noses; this word comes from the Latin rostra, a plural from the Latin rostrum. They personify the power and majesty of the navy of the state and refer to the ancient Roman custom to decorate the columns with rostres of defeated (captured) enemy ships. The statues at the foot of the columns are made by sculptors J. Camberlin and J. Tibe and symbolize the great rivers of Russia. The opening of the columns took place in 1815. In the XIX century, they served as the lighthouses of the port of the northern capital. Lighthouses were lit at night and in the fog and served until 1885. In 1896, electricity was connected to the columns. In 1957, lighthouses began to be illuminated with gas for reasons of economy. Nowadays, lighthouses are lit only on special occasions.
Duration: 30 minutes
Pass By: Ploshchad Iskusstv, St. Petersburg 191186 Russia
You visit the most splendid architectural masterpieces of St.Petesurg.
A small but elegant square in the center of the city, this single architectural ensemble was planned by the great Carlo Rossi. The square fis faced by many cultural and artistic institutions - the Grand Hall of the St. Petersburg Philharmonia, the Mikhailovsky Theater, the State Russian Museum, and others - resulted in it being called Ploshchad Iskusstv (Arts Square). In the center of the square, directly in front of the State Russian Museum, is located the Mikhailovsky Square Garden, with a monument to the great Russian poet Alexander Pushkin.
Pass By: State Russian Museum, Inzhenernaya St., 4 Metro: Gostiny Dvor, Nevskiy Prospekt, St. Petersburg 191011 Russia
The State Russian Museum, a unique depository of artistic treasures, is home to the world’s largest collection of Russian fine art. It is one of Russia's most precious objects of cultural heritage. While the State Hermitage displays fine art from all over the world, the Russian Museum concentrates on home-grown masterpieces. Founded in 1898 by Emperor Nicholas II in memory of his father Alexander III, it became the first state museum of Russian art. Today it holds over 400,000 exhibits, spanning a period of one thousand years. It includes an overwhelming collection of medieval icons and works from well-known Russian masters such as Repin, Shishkin, Nesterov, Cahagall and Rublev. Among other outstanding exhibits are The Last Day of Pompeii, a gigantic depiction of the eruption of Mount Vesuvius by the 19th-century artist Karl Bryullov, and Ilya Repin’s colossal The Zaporozhye Cossacks Writing a Mocking Letter to the Turkish Sultan. Experience the essence of Russia in a fantastic display of styles, shapes, colors and meanings.
Pass By: Savior on the Spilled Blood, Griboyedova Kanala Emb., 2B/A, St. Petersburg 191186 Russia
The church was founded in 1883 at the site of the tragic events - on March 1, 1881, Emperor Alexander II was mortally wounded here, on that day heading to the site of the military parade on the Field of Mars. His son, Alexander III, ordered to build a church at this place for regular services for the slain. That is why the name of the Savior on the Blood was fixed to the temple, although it is officially called the Church of the Resurrection of Christ. Not only Russians, but also residents of Slavic countries donated money for the construction of the temple. Total construction was spent 4.6 million rubles. After the revolution, the Cathedral of the Savior on Blood was closed and has not been restored for a long time. There were rumors that he was even going to disassemble. In 1970 he was transferred under the patronage of St. Isaac's Cathedral, which allocated 80% of the funds for restoration. In 1997, the Savior on Spilled Blood opened its doors to visitors as a museum, which contains a huge collection of mosaic icons.
Pass By: Field of Mars (Marsovo Pole), St. Petersburg 191186 Russia
The history of Field of Mars goes back to the first years of Saint Petersburg. At that time it was called the Great Meadow. Later it was the setting for celebrations to mark Russia's victory in the Great Northern War and the field was renamed the Amusement Field (Poteshnoe Pole). In the 1740s the Amusement Field was turned for a short while into a walking park with paths, lawns, and flowers. Its next name – Tsarina’s Meadow – appeared after the royal family commissioned Rastrelli to build the Summer Palace for Empress Elizabeth. But towards the end of the 18th century Tsarina’s Meadow became a military drill ground where they erected monuments commemorating the victories of the Russian Army and where parades and military exercises took place regularly.
After the February Revolution in 1917 the Field of Mars finally lost its significance as a military drill ground and became a memorial area, used to buried the revolution's honoured dead. In summer 1942 the Field of Mars was completely covered with vegetable gardens to supply the besieged Leningrad.
Pass By: The Alexandrinsky Theater, Ostrovskogo Square, 6, St. Petersburg 191023 Russia
Russian State Academic Drama Theater named after A.S. Pushkin - the legendary Alexandrinsky Theater - is the oldest national theater in Russia. It was established by the Senate Decree, signed by the daughter of Peter the Great by Empress Elizabeth on August 30, 1756 on the day of St. Alexander Nevsky. This theater is the progenitor of all Russian theaters, and the date of its foundation is the birthday of the Russian professional theater. The establishment of the theater was the beginning of the Russian state policy in the field of theatrical art. The Russian State Drama Theater for two and a half centuries, one might say, served as an attribute of the Russian statehood. In the 18th, 19th, and early 20th centuries, it was the main imperial theater, the destiny of which was occupied by the Russian emperors.
Pass By: Smolny Cathedral, Rastrelli Sq., 1, St. Petersburg 191124 Russia
Smolny Cathedral is part of the architectural ensemble of the Smolny Convent, which is considered a historical and architectural monument of world scale.
Ensemble of the monastery was made on the design of architect Rastrellі for which this work was the last. Beautiful blue and white temple complex is Baroque. Striking style temple buildings, upward. Highest point the monastery became the Resurrection Cathedral - 94 meters.
The construction of the temple began in 1748 and the interior finish was completed only in 1835. Thus, it took 87 years to build it. In 1835 the Smolny Cathedral was consecrated in the name of the Resurrection of Christ.
Pass By: Senate And Synod Building, Senatskaya Square, St. Petersburg Russia
Originally built to house the two main governance bodies of the Russian Empire - Directing Senate and the Holy Synod. It was built in 1829-1834 under the project of Carlo Rossi and A.E. Shtaubert.
Senate and Synod are two separate buildings, united by a triumphal arch. Arch symbolized the unity of church and state, it is decorated with the sculptural group "Justice and Godliness." Bas-reliefs and high reliefs around the triumphal arch show the history of Russian legislation: bas-relief "Civil Law", busts of Peter I and Catherine II, bas-relief "The Law of the Lord", bas-relief "Natural Law."
The Russian State Historical Archive is located in these buildings from 1925 till 2006. The Russian Constitutional Court is housed in the former Senate building since May 2008, and the Presidential Library named by B.N. Yeltsin is placed in Synod building since 2009, in which the Patriarch private quarters and the head of state apartments are located.
Pass By: Bronze Horseman, Monument To Peter I, Dekabristov Square, St. Petersburg Russia
Commissioned by Catherine the Great, the monument was created by the French sculptor Étienne Maurice Falconet in 1782. The second name (the Bronze Horseman) comes from the same name poem written by Aleksander Pushkin (1833). The monument symbolizes the Russian victory over Sweden in the Northern War (1700-1721): the snake symbolizes a defeated enemy, the horse symbolizes Russia. The pedestal of this monument is a huge so-called "thunder-stone", which was delivered to Senate Square from a borough Lakhta.
There is a legend that one can find the name of Étienne Falconet on a fold of Peter the Great's cloak.
Pass By: Palace Square, St. Petersburg 198324 Russia
Enjoy the beauty of the third largest square in the world - the Palace Square with the Winter Palace and the Alexander Column.
Palace Square - the central square of St. Petersburg, completely surrounded by historic buildings, most of which are considered important cultural and historical monuments. The square itself is also listed as a World Cultural Heritage, UNESCO is organizing.
Palace Square was formed in the early eighteenth century. At first it was called the Admiralty meadow, but in 1766 the area was renamed the Palace - in honor of the famous Winter Palace, whose southern facade looks directly over the square.
In addition to the Winter Palace, the architectural ensemble of the Palace Square are such architectural monuments as the headquarters building Guards Corps, General Staff and the Arc de Triomphe. And in the center of the square stands a monument to the War of 1812 - Alexander Column.
Stop At: Peter and Paul Fortress, Petropavlovskaya Fortress, 3, St. Petersburg 197022 Russia
During this tour you also visit The Peter & Paul Fortress, wich is the oldest construction in Saint-Petersburg. The Peter and Paul Fortress had been created for fortification purposes, but was used as a political prison. Peter and Paul Cathedral is a unique sample of Russian 18th-century architecture that has reached us. It had for almost two centuries served as a burial-place for Russian emperors. The last Russian tsar - Nicholas II - and his family were buried in the cathedral's small St. Catherine chapel in 1998.
Duration: 1 hour
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Departure Dates: Daily; except Wed, New Years Eve and New Years Day.
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.