- 3 to 4 hours (Approx.)
- Mobile ticket
If you’re looking for an all-encompassing introduction to the wonders of Thessaloniki, then this tour is perfect for you! Together we’ll spend the morning exploring the city’s main historic hotspots with your local guide giving you the lowdown on its fascinating ancient history. Then we’ll go off the beaten track to discover the bustling markets and hidden gems in the pretty backstreets of this delightful world heritage site. Our tour ends just in time for you to grab a spot of lunch from a local taverna and ponder what to do next!
- Bottled water
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Entrance ticket (EUR 2) for Rotunda, additional food and drinks, souvenirs or personal shopping, tips/gratuities for your guide and driver
Eleftherios Venizelos 731 00, Greece
Tsimiski, Thessaloniki, Greece
Are you ready for an adventure into the heart of ancient Thessaloniki? We will start in Aristotelous Square, the city’s most popular and impressive thoroughfare. Here we will talk a little about the fascinating past of Thessaloniki, both ancient and modern.
We will then move on to one of the most famous landmarks in the city, the crypt of Ayios Dimitrios, the patron saint of Thessaloniki. We will venture underground into this mystic resting place, where St. Dimitrios was martyred. Interestingly, the area was converted into an exhibition space in 1988 that displayed historic items that had been recovered from the dramatic fire that took hold of the city in the 5th century CE, such as sculptures and other decorative items.
We'll continue with more historical big hitters and include stops at the Arch of Galerius, the Rotunda and one of the oldest Christian churches in the world.
We will now find ourselves in the busiest and most commercial area of the city. Here you will see Turkish baths, pretty flower shops and locals going about their daily business. We'll then make our way to the city's colourful open-air markets. Dating from the 12th century, the stalls stock a dizzying array of fresh produce including fish, fruit, vegetables, dairy products, spices and even a traditional butcher, which all together vividly evoke the city’s ancient past.
Your journey through Thessaloniki will end in the attractive Ladadika district, famous for its historic role in trading oil. You will find some of the city’s best cafes, restaurants and bars here. Stories from years gone by will come alive as your local guide leads you through the neighbourhood's atmospheric paved alleys.
When the tour ends, why not have a break and a bite to eat while you reflect on all that you have learned about the city and its stunning heritage? Don’t forget to ask your guide for hints and tips on where to go and what to do during the rest of your stay in Thessaloniki.
This tour is priced for a minimum group size of four travellers. A solo traveller or group smaller than four may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for four travellers. If your group has more than four persons, please kindly contact us at email@example.com for more details.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- This tour is priced for a minimum group size of four travellers. A solo traveller or group smaller than four may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for four travellers. If your group has more than four persons, please kindly contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
- Please wear comfortable shoes for walking and bring a hat and sunscreen in the summer months.
- This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.