- 8 hours (Approx.)
- Hotel pickup offered
- Mobile ticket
Immerse yourself in the bewitching Cretan countryside for the day and bask in the glorious natural surroundings of the Therisso Gorge. Enjoy beautiful views and lush vegetation while listening to stories of the area’s thrilling past. Explore traditional villages, discover Cretan culture and indulge yourself by trying the best food, wine and raki in the region.
- Bottled water
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Additional food and drinks, souvenirs or personal shopping, tips/gratuities for your guide and driver.
Pick up from your Chania hotel.
Drop off back at your hotel
Therisso is a pretty ‘lost’ village about 15 kilometres from the city of Chania. The dramatic mountain scenery and impressive gorge hide a remarkable history that has undoubtedly left an indelible mark on the island. Our tour will start with a drive through the gorge (yes, you can actually drive through it!) where you will be impressed by the spectacular forest landscape, filled to the brim with oak and chestnut trees. We will venture into the nearby Sarakina Cave and wander down ancient paths that have a tendency to transport you back in time to the mythical Minoan past of the island. Time for a quick refreshment stop now and where better than a local’s favourite kafenion (a sort of traditional Greek café)? Here we’ll try the famous sfakiani pita, lovingly drizzled with thyme-infused honey and wash it back with a glass of raki or a coffee, depending on what you would prefer.
Sitting at the foothills of the beautiful Lefka Ori (White Mountains), the village of Therisso’s story is firmly rooted in modern history; this is where the revolt of 1905, stirred up by Eleftherios Venizelos, began, which in turn led to the union of Crete with Greece in 1913. As we meander through the village we will see several historical monuments, such as the headquarters of Venizelos, who went on to become Prime Minister of Greece and the National Resistance Museum. Along the entire route of the tour, we will pass lots more traditional Cretan villages that are off the beaten path and still untouched by tourism. If we have time, we may make one or two additional photo stops. We will then make our way to a family-run farm to sample the famous dairy products of the region, such as freshly produced cheese and yogurt.
Our culinary journey will continue at a typical slow food restaurant where our lunch will be cooked over an open fire in clay pots. As our food is being prepared, we will have an opportunity to visit a small, nearby farm to experience local life in the Cretan countryside and see how locals use the land to make their living. Back at the restaurant, we will visit the wine cellar to discover the delights of Cretan vines before your mouthwatering lunch is served. And if this wasn’t enough for your taste buds, we will go on to sample what is considered the best honey in the region at a small, family-owned business.
We will end our day in the best way we know how, at one of the island’s most impressive wineries. Set in a truly unique location, we will sample three different local wines accompanied by local cheese and learn about the vibrant plethora of Cretan wines and indigenous varieties available on the island. After drinking we will take you back through the countryside for one last look at perfection before dropping you off at your hotel for a well-earned wine nap. Before you go, don’t forget to ask your local guide for hints and tips on what to do next during your stay on beautiful Crete.
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Note: This tour is priced for a minimum group size of two travellers. A solo traveller may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for two travellers.
- Please wear comfortable shoes for walking on uneven and sometimes rocky terrain. Please also bear in mind that the temperature drops when you are high in the mountains, so please ensure you are dressed appropriately.
- For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum 2 people. This is a private tour.
- This is a child-friendly tour. Children are permitted on this tour at the same rate as an adult ticket. This is due to the transport requirements of the tour. Please kindly inform us at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6. Please also let us know if you require a child car seat.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.