- 3 to 4 days (Approx.)
- Mobile ticket
Although most people have in mind that Crete is a summer destination, the truth is that a winter break on the island can offer a very wonderful experience. With very few tourists but sunny weather, Crete in wintertime is a delightful place to explore nature and enjoy long walks. Even though the temperature will not be hot enough to swim, you will have a valuable chance to see the local authentic lifestyle.
The largest town in Crete, Heraklion Town bursts with life all year round. Walk in the old part of the town, see the Ottoman Fortress at the port and visit the interesting museums. In close distance to the city centre, there is the Minoan Palace of Knossos that was buried in volcanic ash after the eruption of Thera in around 1,650 BC.
- Accommodation on BB basis in 3 or 4 star city hotels
- Private Transfer airport-hotel-airport at Heraklion
- Private 4 hours Half Day City Tour and Tour to Knossos (not guided)
- Private tour 5 hours to Peza Winery and Archanes - (not guided)
- All local taxes and vats
- 3* Hotels : LATO BOUTIQUE HOTEL or CASTELLO CITY or OLYMPIC HOTEL
- 4* Hotels : IBIS STYLES HERAKLION CENTRAL or OLIVE GREEN HOTEL
- Note: Winter packages are individual tours and not group tours. They do not include flights from/to your country.
- Bottled water
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Anything stated as optional
- Entrance fee to Knossos or other ancient site/museum in Heraklion
- Guide for Knossos
From your Hotel to Heraklion port or airport
Arrival at the airport of Heraklion and transfer to the hotel. Day free at leisure. Overnight at the hotel.
After breakfast, you depart for your Half Day City Tour with private car and professional English speaking driver plus a visit to the Minoan Palace of Knossos (not guided tour). Afternoon at leisure. Traditional Cretan Gourmet dinner upon request (not included in price). Overnight at the hotel
After breakfast, you depart for a 5 hours private tour with private car and professional English speaking driver to the inland of Crete. Visit the winery of Peza and taste the amazing local wine. Free time at leisure in the elegant village of Archanes. As it is will be off season, tourists will be very few in the villages and you will have the chance to enjoy the rural authentic everyday life on the island. Overnight at the hotel.
After breakfast, day free until your flight time. According to your flight departure, transfer to the airport of Heraklion.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Heraklion Greece, the hometown and resting place of Nikos Kazantzakis, is the largest town of Crete. It distinguishes for its impressive Castle, the Venetian port and the fish taverns along the waterfront. Apart from the town, the entire region is also beautiful and unexplored.
- The history of Heraklion started in the Minoan times, as is shown by the close ancient town of Knossos, the most developed of all Minoan towns in Crete. Excavations in Knossos have revealed a flourishing ancient town with an impressive palace and a vibrant cultural life. The town was found almost intact under ashes, which is why scientists believe that this civilization was destroyed by the volcanic eruption of Santorini.
- After the Minoan times, Heraklion flourished again as an important port of the Byzantine Empire. After the fall of Crete to the Venetians, the town developed economically because of trade. Attention was paid to the education and many impressive buildings, like the Loggia, were contructed to house public works. This is also when Koules Fortress around the port of Heraklion was built, to protect the island from pirates and from the Turkish fleet.
- In the 16th century, Heraklion was conquered by the Turks who kept the entire island under their occupation till the early 20th century. In fact, the town has vivid the signs of the Venetian and the Turkish occupation in its architecture structures.
- The prefecture of Heraklion is green and very interesting. Pure nature gives way to mountainous villages and sandy beaches are followed by impressive gorges. Driving around the prefecture is an excellent experience to get to know the Cretan landscape. Heraklion has developed a lot in tourism. Most famous tourist resorts are Malia, famous for their vivid nightlife, Hersonissos and Agia Pelagia, while Matala on the southern side of Crete is also much developed. The relaxing sandy beaches and the picturesque villages have made Heraklion a popular tourism destination in Crete.
- Heraklion Town also developed in culture and economy. With a large port and an international airport, this is the main transportation hub for the island of Crete. It also hosts a vast university and a science and technology park with international fame.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
All sales are final and incur 100% cancellation penalties.