- 3 hours (Approx.)
- Mobile ticket
The charming Thrikkaipetta village in Wayanad district has more to it than meets the eye. The village was originally an epicenter of the bamboo industry whose prominence declined as years passed. Recent years have seen the launch of many a program to revive the dwindling bamboo industry which has now propelled it into a much sought after tourism destination. This 3-hour long craft workshop gives you the opportunity to watch the skilled artisans create beauty with the green gold. You can also try your hand at creating some on your own.
- Perfect for all ages and skill level
- Fully narrated tour
- All necessary equipment included
- All raw materials
- Master craft trainer
- All taxes and handling charges
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
Uravu Indigenous Science & Technology Study Centre, Wayanad (address in voucher)
Returns to the original departure location
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Uravu Bamboo Workshop, Thrikkaipatta part, Kerala 673122, India
A quiet village in the bountiful nature that's replete in Wayanad thrives on a lifestyle that depends on the indigenous bamboo. Thrikkaipetta is a pleasant surprise in a time when modern gadgets and fancy jobs in the city rule the scene. Located just a short distance from the district headquarters of Kalpetta, the village of Thrikkaipetta used to be the hub of bamboo-based manufacturing units. While it might have lost the attention in the last few years due to the dwindling industry, the villagers have stayed faithful to the versatile bamboo.Here's your chance to delve into the lives of these skilled artisans who have built a life around the indigenous material. Watch as the craftsmen display their expertise, weaving magic with the versatile bamboo. Learn from the masters themselves, and get a glimpse into the simple living and the raw material it depends on. Experience the joy of creation and the immense satisfaction of seeing the product you make with your very own hands.This 3-hour workshop will leave you with a sense of accomplishment, paving the way for your hidden creativity. The trail starts at 2 pm and ends in the evening at 5. You would be returning with a souvenir at the end of it. Know more about bamboo, its multiple uses, benefits and significance in the environment, especially in this small village that thrives on it. Enjoy this mini treat with friends or family and you might even pick up a new skill!
Duration: 3 hours
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A minimum of 5 people is required to conduct the workshop
- Minimum age is 10 years
- Craft courses with student/child participants will be conducted under adult supervision. Craft making involves the use of glues, and small hand tools. Hence adults are requested to accompany and supervise the activity. Trained craftsmen will assist with the use of heavy machinery, if required.
- Master craftsmen will lead the workshop. Participants will be trained to make simple craft products such as pens, bangles etc.
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.