- 4 hours (Approx.)
- Mobile ticket
Paravur Backwaters is one of the lesser known, tightly kept secret locations in southern Kerala. The Paravur Backwaters is safe and a sheltered waterbody, without much influence of the tidal effects. You can be assured of the safety as the depth of the lake in general is not more than 10 feet and not wider than 1 km. This ensures you don't paddle out and lose orientation in unknown waters. There are no motorboats in the waterbody to cause wake or noise pollution. Paravur Backwaters is part of the West Coast Canal System and connects it to the NW3 National Waterway between Kollam and Thiruvananthapuram.
You will find it truly unique place to paddle as it is also the meeting point of sea water from Arabian Sea and freshwater from Ithikkara River. The paddling center is located on a tiny sandbar that sits between Arabian Sea and Paravur Backwaters with direct access to both waterbodies.
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- TripAdvisor Experiences brokerage fee
- Professional guide
- Private tour
- Food and drinks
- Hotel drop-off
- Hotel pickup
- Transportation to/from attractions
Syzygy Ecosports, Lakshmipuram Thoppu, Thanni Pozhikkara Coastal Road, Kerala 691303, India
3/11/2019 - 3/31/2020
|Monday - Sunday:||07:00 AM - 06:00 PM|
Returns to original departure point
1) Novices & beginners can be confident about the paddling activity as our Lead Guide will provide introductory paddling techniques and come along (in another kayak or in your kayak) for your safety should you need it. If you prefer a canoe, you may choose a 3 or 4 seater canoe instead of kayak.
2) Within 30 to 45 minutes of paddling from the launch point, you can reach sandbar. It is an ideal place for a short break/walk or photo ops or bird watching. From here, you can get a glimpse of the spillway regulator bridge that controls the inflow of seawater and outflow of Ithikkara river.
3) Paddlers can proceed from sandbar to east and pass under the railway bridge. If you're lucky or wait for a few minutes, you may be able to see a train pass by overhead in either direction.
4) Within 30 minutes passing the railway bridge, paddlers can reach a small island which is not more than 200 sqm in size. The island hosts a small temple, named Chithan Thampuran – probably the smallest island temple in Kerala.
5) Paddling 45 to 60 minutes from there to east will reach the tropical mangrove forest which is nearly beyond the reach of humans due to lack of road access to it.
6) Return to Syzygy.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Minimum age is 18 years
- Operates in rain or shine conditions except when it's windy/lightning that makes paddling unsafe.
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Please dress appropriately for the weather. Keep a change of cloth.
- Not mandatory but "recommended time" in the morning for comfortable paddling experience is between 6 am and 11:30 am
- Not mandatory but "recommended time" in the evening for comfortable paddling experience is between 2:30 pm and 6:30 pm
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.