- 2 hours 30 minutes (Approx.)
- Hotel pickup offered
- Mobile ticket
It's a cookery experience combined with a history tour of a pretty little Oxfordshire village built in ironstone. You will step inside our 15th century home (which is not normally open to the public) only on this special experience. You will learn to bake using a scone recipe of my grandmother's and have tea served in the Sunday best china which is also my Grandmother's, but please do not tell her! :)
- Coffee and/or Tea - English Breakfast or Earl Grey tea
- Snacks - Scones, jam and clotted cream
- Guided Walk of the village
- A paper gift bag to take your scones with you to enjoy later
Great Thatch Cottage, 1hn, 6 Main St, Banbury OX17 1HN, UK
Traveler pickup is offered
We can arrange pick up from Banbury and Moreton in the Marsh train stations on request.
Returns to original departure point
We will meet and greet you in the pretty Oxfordshire village of Hanwell. We will take you inside our 15th century thatch cottage for you to explore and hear the history of the three labourers cottages attached to an old farm. We will share with you the stories of the families that once lived and worked here and how we have traced back every family who lived here going back to 1841.
With Chris you will learn to make your own scones in our cottage kitchen (with help of course), using a local recipe and using locally sourced ingredients.
While the scones are baking in the oven we will then explore the historic Cotswold ironstone village for a short walk (bring your walking boots as it might be a little muddy). We will visit a 13th century church and see where James l stayed for a night and where soldiers also once stayed to go to battle in 1642 in the English Civil War on Edgehill. Depending on the time of the year we will go fruit picking in nearby woodland.
We will then return to the cottage for your homemade afternoon cream tea with your homemade scones, local jam and clotted cream, with a pot of English Breakfast or Earl Grey. Sit back and relax and enjoy the surroundings.
• St. Peter's Church, Banbury OX17 1HN, UK
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 hours of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 4 travelers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.