- 11 to 12 hours (Approx.)
- Mobile ticket
Take a relaxing trip away from the chaos of Hanoi and eat your way to spiritual enlightenment in the glorious Hanam and Ninh Binh provinces. Explore churches, markets, and sweeping vistas while enjoying some of the best food that Vietnam has to offer. Visiting family-run establishments that only locals know about, this tour offers a tasty glimpse into the incredible food on offer outside the city.
- Local English-speaking guide, transportation, all food items as per itinerary (breakfast and lunch: banh cuon thit nuong, yen mac, goi nhech, and bun moc quang thien), 1 bottle of water, 1 coffee, 1 coconut rice wine.
- Bottled water
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Additional food and drinks, souvenirs and personal shopping, tips/gratuities for driver or guide.
Traveler pickup is offered
Centrally located hotels in Hanoi.
Centrally located hotels in Hanoi
From Hanoi we will drive to Kien Khe in Hanam province to try the famous local breakfast here: banh cuon thit nuong (or succulent spiced pork rolled in rice paper and served with a killer dipping sauce). The restaurant we will visit has been run by a local family for almost 20 years and is known for serving the very best banh cuon thit nuong in town.
Kien Khe is a pretty town by the riverside sprinkled with crumbling old buildings that are slowly being consumed by mother nature. A peaceful stroll around the village will lead us to the market for a spot of souvenir shopping. We will then visit the vast 19th-century church, a fading beauty with two impressive towers at the front.
After a short drive we will arrive in Ninh Binh, the former capital of Vietnam and a province that has been blessed with rolling green valleys, magnificent mountains, and pretty temples. We will stop for a coffee at the most popular café shop in the area.
Next up is a delicious treat that you won’t forget in a hurry, yen mac or traditional fermented pork spring roll. This dish is usually served with guava and fig leaves and is very hard to find elsewhere. Locals will reveal the secrets of how the dish is put together while you find out why it is so popular (hint: it tastes delicious!).
The beautiful, historic Phat Diem church is only a 20-minute drive away and that is where we head next. A special blend of Vietnamese and gothic architecture, the church was bombed in the ‘70s during the Vietnam conflict but the pagoda towers stand tall once again after a rebuilding program.
Close to the church we will try our next local delicacy, goi nhech, a special sea eel salad featuring local herbs, which we will wash down with some refreshing coconut wine.
The pièce de résistance comes now with arguably the best vermicelli noodle soup ever, served with (or without) meatballs. The dish is called bun moc quang thien and it is a must-try on any worthy foodie’s bucket list.
Back in Hanoi, we will drop you off at your hotel but not before giving you more tips on where and what to eat during your stay in the fragrant and frenetic city of Hanoi.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Dress standards are conservative throughout Asia, especially outside major cities. To respect this and for your own comfort, we strongly recommend modest clothing. This means clothing that covers your shoulders and knees. Loose, lightweight, long clothing is both respectful and cool in the predominantly hot Asian climate.
- Please note that all the foods are offered by local family-run restaurants. As such, sometimes they may close for a day without prior notice. In such a case, we’ll find an alternate but equally delicious food for you to try.
- Children below the age of 6 are not permitted on this tour.
- Unfortunately, due to the limited offerings at the food stops visited on this tour, this experience is not suitable for vegetarians or other dietary restrictions.
- Please note that this tour visits independent, family-owned businesses whose operating schedules and menus may change. Therefore, street food venues and local dishes often vary; your local guide will make any final adjustments on the spot.
- For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
If you cancel at least 4 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 3 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.