- 6 hours (Approx.)
- Hotel pickup offered
- Mobile ticket
A tour of Dar es Salaam will take you to the National Museum, Village Museum, Mwenge Carvings Market, Tingatinga art Gallery, Slipway Shopping Centre, The Fish Market, City Centre, Historical Building and many other Sites.
The name Dar es Salaam means "the house of peace" formerly Mzizima. It is an enticing mix of sight seeing, shopping and entertainment, the largest city in Tanzania reflects a fascinating blend of its rich historical past and its sophisticated contemporary present. The name was given by Sultan Majid bin Said of Zanzibar when he decided to use the harbor city as a port and trade centre in between 1858 and 1862. Since then the town has flourished and is now the commercial hub of the country with high population, important economic centre and one of the fastest growing cities in Tanzania & most prominent city in arts, fashion, media, music, film, television and a leading financial centre it is also the largest and most populous Swahili-speaking city in the world.
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- All Fees and Taxes
- Entry/Admission - National Museum
- Entry/Admission - Tingatinga Arts Cooperative Society
- Entry/Admission - Askari Monument
Dar es Salaam Serena Hotel, Ohio St, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Traveler pickup is offered
We pick our guest at Nyerere International Airport, Zanzibar Ferry or any hotel in Town
Returns to original departure point
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: National Museum, Shaaban Robert Street, Dar es Salaam Tanzania
Established in 1934 as a memorial museum dedicated to King George V, opened to the public as the National Museum in 1940 and expanded in 1963. The entry gate is located in Shaaban Robert Street; it houses many historical treasures the most important of which are the remains of the first humans “Paranthropus boisei” discovered by Dr. Louis Leakey at Olduvai Gorge. The museum also has a large colonial history section with Ethnographic displays include traditional crafts, head dresses, ornaments and musical instruments. Hunting and gathering, initiation rites, traditional healing and witchcraft are a few other themes; also on view are leather and bark clothing, and a wooden bicycle in working order.
Duration: 1 minute
Stop At: Tingatinga Arts Cooperative Society, Haile Selassie Road Morogoro Stores, Dar es Salaam 23122 Tanzania
– Tingatinga Paintings are Tanzanian traditional paintings created using layers of bicycle paint representing physical features and landmarks drawn in a canvas material. Formerly they were locally drawn on Masonite and ceiling boards and later Canvases added using several layers of glossy enamel paint which turned its noticeable outlook brilliant, and very attractive representing local people’s activities, Landscape with its exotic animal. Bicycle paint is a good material to use on making clear, vibrant colored paintings that contain sharp contrasts and still gives the ability to work with shades surfaces. The name Tingatinga was derived from the founder of the painting style, a Tanzanian named Edward Said Tingatinga who passed away in 17th May 1972, he left behind his art flying his name to the world, a wife, two children (Daudi & Martina) and six painters who later taught many more other painters
Duration: 1 minute
Stop At: Askari Monument, Samora Avenue and Maktaba Street, Dar es Salaam Tanzania
It is located at the center of a roundabout between Samora Avenue and Maktaba Street, unveiled in 1927 to honor the African Soldiers who fought in the first World War and to the memory of the Native African Troops who fought, to the carriers who were the feet and the hands of the army, and to all men who fought, served, died for the King and the Country in the East Africa in World War 1”. The former statue was unveiled in 1911 to celebrate the Germans victory in 1888, represented Major Herman Von Wissmann, a German explorer and soldier, who became Governor of German East Africa in 1895. British entered Dar es Salaam in 1916 and removed this statue along with those of Karl Peters and Otto von Bismarck.
Duration: 10 minutes
Hotel pick-up is offered for this tour. Note: if you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 20 travelers
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.