Buffalo loves their Bills and game days at Highmark Stadium bring the whole city together. Table slams and psychedelic zebra print pants aside, it’s fun to hang with the Bills Mafia. Planning to visit soon? Keep reading for all you need to know about the team, their fans, Buffalo Bills Stadium in Orchard Park, and hassle-free gameday parking.
Founded in 1960, Buffalo Bills is one of the original members of the American Football League. Before the AFL-NFL merger, the franchise won the AFL Championship in 1964 and 1965. Since the 70s, the Bills have played in NFL’s AFC East Division and have set a record appearance in four Super Bowls consecutively. However, they are widely known for winning none of those games.
From the late 80s to the late 90s, Buffalo Bills impressed as top postseason contenders, including the Super Bowl berths. Unfortunately, what followed was a long playoff drought for 16 years, until the mid-2010s. Though they are yet to make another Super Bowl appearance, the Bills have made significant progress in recent years.
Through the highs and lows over 60 years, Buffalo Bills fans persist as one of the most loyal support groups in the league. And, if you are planning to join them at an upcoming home game, here’s everything you must know before you go.
Buffalo Bills Schedule 2022 – Check Out Upcoming Home Games at Highmark Stadium
When is the first game on the Buffalo Bills schedule?
The Buffalo Bills kicked off their 2022 regular season campaign at the SoFi Stadium on September 08 and won 31-10 against the Los Angeles Rams. Meanwhile, the first home game of the season is on September 19. After that, the Bills are hosting the Tennessee Titans in the NFL 2022 regular season Week 2 game. After that, the Pittsburgh Steelers visit Highmark Stadium for a Week 5 matchup on October 09.
Buffalo Bills Depth Chart | Buffalo Bills News | Buffalo Bills Standings
Is Bills Mafia an official support group?
The official Buffalo Bills fan organization is called Bills Backers and has over 200 chapters worldwide. While Bills Mafia first appeared in 2010 via Twitter and has gained popularity since – especially after several Buffalo Bills players started using the term.
Bills Mafia is not just a fan group; the term is (unofficially) used to represent almost everything related to the NFL franchise. Additionally, new Bills players are known to speak about “joining the Bills Mafia.” The team also filed a trademark for the name in 2020.
Find out more about Bills Mafia here.
Who are the most notable Buffalo Bills players?
Buffalo Bills Hall of Famers are:
- O.J. Simpson (RB) – inducted in 1985
- Billy Shaw (OG) – inducted in 1999
- Jim Kelly (QB) – inducted in 2002
- James Lofton (WR) – inducted in 2003
- Joe DeLamielleure (OG) – inducted in 2003
- Thurman Thomas (RB) – inducted in 2007
- Bruce Smith (DE) – inducted in 2009
- Andre Reed (WR) – inducted in 2014
- Terrell Owens (WR) – inducted in 2018
See the current Buffalo Bills roster here.
How long have the Bills played at Highmark Stadium?
Buffalo Bills have played their home games at Highmark Stadium since it opened in 1973. However, it was originally known as the Rich Stadium. The Bills’ home field has changed names several times over the last 50 years. Finally, in March 2021, the team announced its current name – Highmark BlueCross BlueShield Stadium – after reaching a 10-year agreement with the healthcare company.
Before 1973, Buffalo Bills played at War Memorial Stadium during their first thirteen seasons. However, the East Side venue – popularly known as the Rockpile – was deemed undersized for an NFL team. Though Highmark Stadium is the Bills’ second home, it is one of the oldest NFL stadiums. The 71,608-seater stadium is owned by Erie County and operated by Pegula Sports and Entertainment.
Will there be a new Buffalo Bills stadium?
A new 62K –seater Buffalo Bills Stadium is expected to open in 2026. The proposed location for the $1.4 billion stadium is just across the street from Highmark Stadium, next to the Erie Community College South Campus.
Although not confirmed, there are reports about demolishing the current stadium. You can find out more about Buffalo Bills’ new stadium project here.
Where is the Highmark Stadium in Buffalo?
Buffalo Bills’ Highmark Stadium is in Orchard Park – one of the Erie County Southtowns, 14 miles southeast of downtown Buffalo. The stadium is in the hamlet of Windom, on the suburb’s western edge.
Due to the location and limited public transit options, most fans drive to the stadium or ride share. U.S. Route 219 passes through this part of the town and meets NY 179 and Route 20A. Use the map below to find your route to Buffalo Bills stadium:
How far is the Buffalo airport from Highmark Stadium?
Buffalo Niagara International Airport (BUF) is only 16 miles from the Buffalo Bills’ Highmark Stadium. The fastest route by car (via I-90) will take you less than 30 minutes to travel between the airport and stadium.
When do the gates open for Buffalo Bills game today?
Highmark Stadium gates usually open two hours before kickoff for Buffalo Bills home games. You can check out the next game day schedule here. The seven entrance/exit gates at Highmark Stadium are numbered clockwise from the south to the north.
- Gates 5, 6, and 7 on the stadium’s north side are convenient for fans parking in the public parking lots 5 and 7. Lot 4 (Preferred Parking – Blue) is also located on this side.
- If you park in public parking Lot 4, gates 4 and 5 on either side of the Bills Store are the closest entrances.
- ADA Lot 6 is located between gates 5 and 6; ADA Lot 2 is next to gates 2 and 3.
- Public parking Lot 1 is the furthest from the stadium, on the south side beyond Fieldhouse Lot, between Fieldhouse Drive and Regional Drive.
Where is the Buffalo Bills store?
You’ll find the Buffalo Bills Store between Highmark Stadium gates 4 and 5, accessible via Abbott Road on the west side. You can enter Abbott Road from Southwestern Blvd. from the north or Big Treet Road from the south.
The Buffalo Bills Store is open daily from 10 am. However, closing time varies from 7 pm on Mon-Thu to 9 pm on Friday and Saturday. On non-gameday Sundays, the store closes at 3 pm. On game days, the Abbott Road entrance closes half an hour before gates open. But you can access the store from inside the stadium during this time.
Where can I find Buffalo Bills tickets?
All ticket sales are online; you’ll find single-game tickets for the 2022 NFL season here.
Buffalo Bills home game tickets sell out quickly. You might have to rely on verified resale tickets for the upcoming games. At the time of writing, the rates are $200+ for most games scheduled this season. Ticket rates vary per demand; Bills’ main rivals – Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, and New York Jets – get maximum attention. You should also look out for the Colts, Chiefs, Titans, Jaguars, and Dallas Cowboys.
Premium seating at Highmark Stadium is available in Sideline Clubs, Indoor Clubs, Full-season Suites, and Single-Game suites. Buffalo Bills 2022 Season Ticket rates (full season) range from $450 (300 Level) to $3300 (Sideline Club).
Check out the Buffalo Bills stadium seating map here.
How to use digital tickets to enter Highmark Stadium?
You can book your Buffalo Bills tickets via the Bills Mobile app. The digital tickets are scanned at the stadium entrance on gameday. If you have a group booking, transfer the tickets to each person’s phone for a hassle-free experience. To avoid delays due to connectivity, you can download your ticket and save it on your phone. Keep your phone charged and the tickets ready to scan at the gates.
You’ll find step-by-step guides on accessing, transferring, and reselling your tickets using the Bills app here.
Is there gameday parking at the Highmark Stadium lots?
Day-of-game parking is available at a few Highmark Stadium parking lots. There are seven public parking lots, two of which are reserved for ADA Parking. Though you may purchase a parking pass on-site, keep in mind that only credit cards are accepted. You also need a valid Buffalo Bills game ticket to access these lots.
The public parking lots at Highmark Stadium also accept pre-booked permits. Gameday passes are limited. So, for a guaranteed Buffalo Bills parking spot, get your parking pass online while booking your tickets. Sales end the day before the game, and you can use the digital passes to enter the lot. If you miss the deadline, you can still save your time and money by pre-booking off-stadium gameday parking here.
How much does Buffalo Bills’ parking cost?
- For the 2022 season, day-of-game parking at Highmark Stadium costs $40. Pre-booked parking passes for lots 1 – 7 are available online for $35 till the day before the game.
- Parking permits for preferred lots 2, 4, and 6 cost $50 per car.
- Season ticket members pay $220 for a parking pass ($22 per game)
- Non-tailgating bus and Limo parking rate is $150. Limos mustn’t exceed a capacity of 11 people.
- Tailgating Village bus parking rates are higher at $350
- Camper Lot season permits are available for $800
If you couldn’t book parking at the stadium, alternative parking is available on Big Tree Road for just $35/day for up to 24 hours.
Which parking lot is closest to Highmark Stadium?
Except for Public Parking Lot 1, all Highmark Stadium parking lots are close to the gates. Lot 4 on the stadium’s west side is the closest public parking lot that allows gameday parking without pre-booked permits. ADA parking lots (2 and 6) are also adjacent to the stadium.
Permit-only preferred parking lots are color-coded in blue, green, red, and gold. In addition, the bus/Limo Lot, Tailgate Village, and Camper lots are permit-only parking facilities at Highmark Stadium.
See the Buffalo Bills Game Day parking lot map here.
Where is the rideshare lot for Buffalo Bills games?
The gameday Rideshare Lot is at the western end of the ECC South Campus near Highmark Stadium. Cars exiting this lot merge into Southwestern Blvd. or Big Tree Road.
To access the Rideshare Lot from the stadium, cross Abbott Road outside Gate 2 and walk down Community College Drive between lots 3 and 4 to the ECC Campus. Additionally, ask your rideshare driver for the row they are parked in to find the car easily.
What are the gameday parking rules at Bills stadium?
- Highmark Stadium parking lots open four hours before kickoff; no exceptions if you arrive early
- All parking spaces are available on a first-come, first-served basis
- Vehicles not parked in designated striped parking spaces can be ticketed/towed
- Windowless/paneled vans and trucks, and trailers are not allowed
- You must pre-purchase Bus/Limo Lot and Camper Lot permits by calling the Bills Ticket Office
- Parking lots close once post-game traffic clears, which takes around one hour
Are there any Bills gameday traffic regulations?
Highmark Stadium is located away from busy neighborhoods like downtown; gameday traffic and parking are hassle-free. However, there are traffic regulations closer to the stadium.
- Traffic is closed on the Abbott Road stretch between ADA Lot 2 south entrance to ADA Lot 6 north entrance.
- After the game, westbound traffic on Route 20A (Big Tree Road) is closed from Fieldhouse Drive to Route 219.
What are the Buffalo Bills tailgating rules?
Tailgating is allowed at Highmark Stadium’s Tailgate Village before Buffalo Bills home games. Here are a few Buffalo Bills gameday tailgating rules to keep in mind:
- Tailgating and loitering around parked buses or limos with 12 passengers or more is not permitted
- Parking permits for the Tailgate Village must be purchased in advance.
- You’ll be assigned a parking spot in the Tailgate Village, and each group member will get a wristband that allows access to the tailgating area.
- The tailgating area is within the Bus & Limo parking lot. However, any bus/limo arriving without a permit on gameday will not be allowed to enter; there is a separate area for non-tailgating bus parking.
Here’s more info on top-rated airport parking, the best parking spots in your city, affordable auto insurance, easy auto refinance, and high-quality car washes near you.