You’ll need to take care of a few things if you’re moving to New York State, buying a new vehicle, or just renewing your New York registration. Thankfully, New York has a simple system for registering vehicles. However, there are still several things you should keep in mind. This guide covers car registration in NY, NYS car registration renewal, and how much they cost.
Car registration with the New York Department of Motor Vehicles is mandatory for all people living in the state of New York, including longtime residents and Newcomers. If you want to drive on the roads in New York without worrying about getting a penalty, you absolutely must have a registration for your vehicle. Follow these steps, and you’ll be driving across New York with no worries at all.
First-time car registration in NY
Are you looking to purchase a brand-new or pre-owned vehicle from a New York dealership? The cost of new registration is often included in the purchase price of a new vehicle at most dealerships. It may also be added to the loan if the car is financed. Registering and titling a new vehicle might be daunting, but many individuals find that doing it online is the best and most convenient option. The state makes it simple with the E-ZVisit Registration Page if you’re buying a car from an individual rather than a dealership. To register your vehicle, fill out the application on that page, print out a copy with the barcode, and bring it, along with the following, to the DMV.
- Your New York State driver’s license, non-driver identification card, or permit
- Your New York State Certificate of Title Evidence of New York State car liability insurance
- Payment of fees
- Proof of incorporation if registering a car for a business or organization.
DIY NY car registration
If you bought the vehicle from a New York dealer but want to handle the registration yourself, you’ll need to download and fill out a New York Vehicle Registration / Title Application form (form MV-82).
Out-of-state car registration in NY
The procedure is much the same as if you were registering a newly acquired automobile. In addition, you will need to produce a few other papers.
Buying a new car from an out-of-state dealer? If so, you must produce the Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (MCO) and the dealer’s bill of sale for a new car.
Buying a used car from an out-of-state dealer? First, you must submit an out-of-state title certificate or transferable registration that’s transferred to the dealer along with the dealer’s bill of sale that transfers ownership to you.
If you’re buying a car from a private owner, you’ll need a bill of sale and a title certificate or transferable registration. This is to show the vehicle is now legally registered to you.
Note: Any vehicle registered in New York must meet California emissions requirements. If you’re unsure if your vehicle meets the requirements, check the NY DMV’s Emissions Standards website for more information.
Renewing car registration in NY
It is much easier to renew your current New York registration. Most drivers in New York will get a renewal letter and can renew their registration online.
Before your car registration expires in New York, you will get a renewal notification in the mail from the DMV. You can choose to get this message via email by creating an account on the New York DMV website.
Here is what you will need to do when trying to handle NYS car registration renewal:
Online NYS car registration renewal
Be sure you have the proper permissions before going online to renew your registration. In most cases, your eligibility to exercise this choice will be specified in the notification you receive. If you can renew your subscription online, please follow these steps:
- NYC DMV registration renewal notice
- Get the PIN from the notice
- Go to the New York State DMV online registration system.
- Go to the website of the New York DMV to register your car.
- If you need to change your address on your registration, choose “Yes.” To renew your car registration, choose “Vehicle/Trailer.”
- Enter your license plate number, Last name or Business Name, 3-Digit Registration Class, 5-Digit ZIP Code, and email address
- Pay the fees that the system tells you to.
In-person NY car registration renewal
- Visit any New York DMV.
- Bring your notice of registration renewal (MV-3 or OP-3). If you don’t have your MV-3 or OP-3, you’ll need to fill out the Vehicle Registration/Title Application (PDF) (MV-82).
- Pay the fee to renew the car’s registration.
Renewing your New York car registration by mail
- Mail the bottom portion of your renewal notice for registration (MV-3 or OP-3) to the address shown on the form.
- You must by check or money order made out to the “Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.”
- Use this Vehicle Registration / Title Application if you haven’t received a renewal notification (MV-3 or OP-3) (MV-82). If you are unsure about the right renewal fee, you may mail a check made out to the “Commissioner of Motor Vehicles” without specifying the amount.
- You can send your completed MV-82 and payment to
How to replace a New York car registration
Your vehicle registration must be in the vehicle or on your person at all times when driving in New York State. Is registration lost, stolen, destroyed, or otherwise unrecognizable? Then you must immediately visit the DMV to obtain a replacement.
You can get a replacement via phone, in person, or on the web. There are, however, limitations. For example, when vehicle tags are lost, stolen, or destroyed, the only option is to physically travel to a government office and apply for a new one.
You cannot renew your New York vehicle registration replacement online if
- Your registration has expired, been suspended, or been canceled
- The vehicle is manufactured before 1973
- It’s a boat, ATV, snowmobile, vehicle hauler, or transporter
- A vehicle with international registration numbers.
To get a new registration online, you will need the following information:
- Vehicle’s license plate number
- Registration class (located on the vehicle’s decal)
- Mailing address where the vehicle’s current registration is
- A valid credit or debit card.
Once you’re through, you can print a temporary replacement registration from the website that will last for 10 days. You’ll receive the final registration certificate by mail within 10 days.
How much is car registration in NY?
- Vehicles weighing 1,650 pounds or less will cost $26 to renew
- Renewals for cars weighing between 1,751 and 1,850 pounds will cost $29
- Renewal fees for cars weighing 1,950 pounds or more will range between $32.50 and $70
Proof of insurance for NY car registration
Simply claiming that you have insurance is not enough. You must provide proof of auto insurance liability coverage in NY. That’s why Way.com, the auto super app helps drivers find the best auto insurance rates and deals.
Not just that – Way.com provides digital proof of insurance so that you don’t have to lug around paper documents.
Here’s more info on top-rated airport parking, the best parking spots in your city, affordable auto insurance, easy auto refinance, and high-quality car washes near you.