×
Get 5% off in-app
400k+ download
Open app

Know More about Carbon Monoxide Poisoning from a Gas Stove

  • Things To Know
  • Ray Sanders
  • 5 minutes

Spread the love

Carbon monoxide, or CO, is a deadly gas with no odor or taste. It is found in fumes produced by fuel combustion in automobiles, vehicles, stoves, ovens, grills, and generators and can accumulate in securely sealed or closed areas. Never risk carbon monoxide poisoning from a gas stove or any other home equipment by neglecting to check these symptoms and precautions.  

Toxic levels of Carbon monoxide exposure can be fatal. It prevents oxygen from reaching vital organs like the brain and heart if you breathe in too much of it.  

Can you get carbon monoxide poisoning from a gas stove? 

Yes. There have been numerous reported cases of Carbon monoxide poisoning from a gas stove. A Gas stove is a typical source of increased CO levels in houses. Carbon monoxide levels will rapidly grow to intolerable levels if a gas stove emitting 800 ppm continues to operate in a household with insufficient ventilation. Experts recommend tuning the kitchen ranges and gas stoves to emit less than 50ppm.  

Carbon monoxide can be produced by common heating and cooking appliances if they have been improperly placed, malfunctioned, or are not maintained. In addition, CO poisoning can also occur from grills or camp stoves, especially when they’re used indoors.

Carbon monoxide can also accumulate when operating a car engine, generator, or lawnmower inside a closed space, such as a garage. 

Some of the other appliances that are sources of carbon monoxide are:  

  • Gas boilers¬†
  • Clay ovens¬†
  • Gas/Paraffin heaters¬†
  • Portable gas generators¬†
  • Burning coal, gas, or wood¬†
  • Gas cookers etc.

How to know if you’ve got carbon monoxide poisoning from a gas stove

People can experience various flu-like symptoms when exposed to carbon monoxide, including feeling sick and weak. Symptoms include shortness of breath, headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, etc. Chest and muscle pain, and confusion, are also often reported by patients, according to the CDC.  

If you feel any of the above symptoms with any gas appliance near you, make sure you turn off the appliance and clear out of the room for an open area with fresh air as soon as possible. If the symptoms persist, do not hesitate to take medical advice.

Infants, the elderly, and those with chronic diseases such as heart disease or breathing difficulties are at greater risk in the event of CO poisoning. So, make sure that they are safe.  

Avoiding Carbon monoxide poisoning from a gas stove using an exhaust hood 

carbon monoxide poisoning from a gas stove Credits: SWIMPHOTO On Flickr

Carbon monoxide, along with carbon dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, and water vapor, is created by a gas stove or a kitchen range even when correctly tuned. Therefore, kitchen range manufacturers highly recommend installing an exhaust hood to remove moisture, grease, and aromas from cooking and combustion by-products.

An exhaust hood can avoid indoor air pollution caused by gas stoves and kitchen ranges, eliminating the chances of Carbon monoxide poisoning from a gas stove.  

While installing an exhaust hood, you must make sure that it can remove cooking odors, close tightly and vent to the outside, and has a silent operation. In addition, make sure that there is enough fresh air inside the home for the exhaust hood to operate optimally. Also, make sure that a qualified heating contractor installs it.

Depressurization of the home and down drafting of vented appliances, including furnaces, water heaters, boilers, fireplaces, and vented room heaters, can occur if you install an exhaust hood. Conduct a down drafting test to ensure that all systems are working perfectly.  

Preventing carbon monoxide poisoning from gas stoves and other sources 

Follow these easy precautions to avoid Carbon monoxide poisoning from a gas stove and various other appliances.  

Installing a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector 

Installing a Carbon monoxide detector near the hallways or wherever it is easily heard on each floor is one good idea for identifying CO presence in your house. Also, ensure that the batteries are working fine. Be sure to connect it to a backup battery if it is a unit that connects to a direct power (AC) source.  

Avoid using a gas stove to heat your home. 

Gas stoves are meant to serve a different purpose, i.e., to cook food. Using the same for room heating purposes can be dangerous as it releases lethal amounts of Carbon monoxide. Even while using gas heaters, make sure that somebody is around to monitor their operation.  

Avoid operating a charcoal grill or portable gas stove inside 

Burning charcoal releases Carbon monoxide. Do not try to use them to heat your home in a fireplace or barbecue. Additionally, there is a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning from a portable gas stove while using it indoors. 

Ensure proper ventilation for gas-operated appliances

Also, ensure that the gas stove and similar appliances like cooking ranges, wood-burning stoves, and charcoal grills have proper ventilation. Also, ensure that vents and chimneys are clear of debris before renovating. Finally, look to see if any tarps or other obstructions are hiding them. 

Perform yearly repairs on gas appliances 

Inquire with your utility services provider about scheduling annual inspections for your gas stove, furnace, and other gas appliances. Proper maintenance helps to avoid getting Carbon monoxide poisoning from a gas stove.  

Repair the faulty gas stove in your home before returning there 

To prevent further carbon monoxide poisoning from a gas stove, it is essential to locate and fix the leaky appliance or ventilation system that lets the gas into the home. Take help from the emergency services or utility providers in your area to resolve this.  

 


Here’s more info on top-rated airport parking, the best parking spots in your city, affordable auto insurance, easy auto refinance, and high-quality car washes near you.


Related Posts

wave

Press ESC to close