We were looking for Harry Potter-themed Halloween concepts and stumbled on the perfect yard decor idea. Yes! The Whomping Willow and the Weasleys’ car.
For Hogwarts hopefuls like me, everything has to be perfect when trying to replicate anything from the magical world in our muggle lives. The Harry Potter flying car is no exception! So, here we are, heading into the chamber of classic car secrets to find the real-world model.
After all this time? Always!
Controversies and reboots aside, stories from Harry Potter’s wizarding world are an inevitable part of their childhood for many grown-ups. Especially when Halloween comes knocking on our doors. So, witches and wizards, it’s time to bring out your broomsticks and pointy hats – there’s much mischief to manage.
Most of you would take this idea and stop at a Harry Potter flying car decor or an imaginative Halloween couple’s costume. But for a few, “It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” So, if you have spending money, find yourself a little blue Ford Anglia. That’s the muggle car Arthur Weasley enchanted and eventually got Ron in trouble. Now, making it fly is a little beyond any muggle’s Charms. But we can tell you where to find one that runs on the ground and how much it costs.
What Is the Flying Car from Harry Potter?
The Harry Potter flying car is a Ford Anglia 105E – a small British car popular for its affordability and ease of use. Ford UK designed and manufactured the Anglia that debuted in 1939, replacing Ford 7Y. The Anglia E04A (1939 – 1949) was the first model; the 105E (1959–1968) was the fourth. Anglia models were available in different engine sizes, body styles, and trim levels. However, the 105E enjoyed a major share of the car’s popularity.
The Anglia was a popular choice for families and young drivers, as it was relatively cheap to buy and insure. Taxi companies and police forces have also used the car. Today, the Anglia remains popular among classic car collectors and enthusiasts.
Is the Harry Potter Flying Car for Sale?
Sorry, Liam beat you to it! Who is Liam?
One Direction’s Liam Payne owns the Ford Anglia 105E you see in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. He bought the car in 2015 for £200,000 (approximately $250,000 at the time). Bad news – Payne says he has no plans to sell the car.
“Don’t let the muggles get you down.” You’ll find many other Ford Anglia 105E cars at classic car auctions and websites. The price will vary depending on the car’s condition and the model year. But you can expect to pay between $5,000 and $50,000 for a Ford Anglia in good condition.
May have to pay more if you are looking for a specific model year or a rare Anglia. For example, a 1963 Ford Anglia 105E Super Saloon in good condition can cost upwards of $20,000. You may find a cheaper Anglia, but be prepared to compromise on the car’s condition. Keep in mind there will be additional repair and maintenance costs.
Was Ford Anglia 105E Sold in the US?
Ford could not sell enough Anglias in the United States. The company’s North American Sales and Service (NASS) division imported a few, but many remained unsold. However, the 105E gained some popularity among North American sports car enthusiasts.
Despite the low sales, a few Anglias are in the US today. These cars were either imported privately or brought over by American soldiers returning from the UK.
How to Find a Used Ford Anglia in the USA
So, it’s decided you want the real deal – a Harry Potter flying car? Here are some tips to help you find the perfect Anglia:
- Learn about the different models of Anglias and their value.
- Check online classified websites and auction sites.
- Contact classic car clubs and organizations.
- Attend classic car shows and events.
- Hire a car broker to help you find a suitable car.
- Be patient. Finding the right car at the right price may take some time.
If you are interested in owning a Ford Anglia in the US, there are a few things you should keep in mind:
- Before you start bidding, be sure to do your research. These cars are over 50 years old, so they are likely to have some wear and tear.
- Find a car that has been properly imported and registered.
- Be aware that parts for the Anglia can be difficult to find in the US. However, a few online retailers sell parts for classic British cars.
- Get a qualified mechanic to inspect it and ensure the car complies with all US safety and emissions regulations.
- Be prepared to negotiate. Classic car sellers are often willing to tweak the price.
Harry Potter Flying Car on a Budget
No money to spend on a classic car collection and its maintenance? Here’s how you can still experience the magic:
Harry Potter Car on Display: Where?
If you live in Austin or nearby (or don’t mind making a quick trip), you’re in luck! A Ford Anglia 105E Deluxe will be displayed at Buck’s Backyard in Buda on October 8, 2023. Buda is only a 20-minute drive south of Austin, so a road trip it is!
Want to go behind the scenes and experience the movie’s SFX? It’s nothing short of real magic. But you’ll have to leave your car at the airport and fly to London.
A Ford Anglia 105E Deluxe that starred as the Harry Potter flying car is currently on display at the Warner Bros. Studio Tour London – The Making of Harry Potter. They have carefully restored it to its original condition and displayed it in the Great Hall on the tour. You can walk up to the car, take pictures, and learn about the special effects that make it fly.
The tour also has several other props and costumes from the Harry Potter films, like Harry’s wand and Hogwarts uniform. You’ll find the Gryffindor common room, Dumbledore’s office, and the Potions classroom.
Halloween Costumes, Decor, and Party Ideas
No matter how you choose to celebrate, the Harry Potter flying car adds a magical touch to your Halloween plans.
- Use cardboard, paint, and other craft supplies to create a replica of the car. If you have a tree in the yard that could pass as the Whomping Willow, the cardboard car will surely capture trick-or-treaters’ attention.
- Don’t have the time? Make smaller Harry Potter flying car replicas or cutouts and decorate your home or office desk.
- Dress up as Harry and Ron and carry a cardboard cutout of the Harry Potter flying car to your Halloween party.
- You can set up a backdrop with the flying car or as a prop for a photo booth at your party.
- Create a simple game where players race their Harry Potter flying cars.
- Gather around and share your favorite moments from the Harry Potter movies. Make it fun by asking everyone what they would do with a magical flying car.
Even flying cars need a parking space! So, when you are out gathering Halloween supplies or enjoying a road trip, don’t forget to pre-book a safe and cheap parking spot at your destination.
Elevate your car ownership experience with our all-in-one auto super app!
Trust us to find you the best gas discounts, EV charging near you, auto insurance, home insurance, auto refinance, and more with our all-in-one app! We’ll also help you find and book the best parking and car washes near you.
Celine is your ‘Need-a-car-because-I’ve-got-places-to-be’ friend. With 10 years of experience in travel & lifestyle writing, she’s always searching for the latest user-friendly features in a car. While she’s not relaxing on a long road trip or catching the next flight for a weekend getaway, you’ll find her home huddled up with a good book or a new show and armchair traveling into distant lands or fantastic worlds.