You must complete various phases to get a driver’s license in Idaho. Driving around the state can be fun unless you forget to renew your driver’s license, resulting in unwanted penalties and jail time. Is it time for your Idaho driver’s license renewal? Is the renewal process so difficult?
No! Renewing the license won’t be a hassle if you know how to do it. But it can get complicated if the grace period gets over. So, when should you do your Idaho driver’s license renewal? What are the ways to do it? How much will it cost?
Our blog covers everything related to renewing a driver’s license in Idaho. Keep reading to know in detail!
When should you do your Idaho driver’s license renewal?
Most Idaho drivers must renew their driver’s licenses every 4-8 years, depending on their age and the mode of renewal. You can renew your license in person or by mail for an additional eight years if you are between 21 and 62. If you renew your license online, your new license will be valid for four years. Most licenses for drivers aged 21 and below expire in three years. You can also receive a one-year license between 17-20 years old.
Is there a grace period for an expired driver’s license in Idaho?
Yes. If your license remains expired for more than 25 months, you must pass the written and driving tests again before renewing it. So, always be mindful of the license expiration date.
Way.com, your go-to auto insurance savings app, now offers coverage for your home too! You can get the cheapest home insurance quotes in your area through us! It’s time to save around $900 on your homeowners insurance!
What do you need to renew your driver’s license in Idaho?
The requirements for Idaho license renewal vary depending on how you renew it. But in most situations, you must produce proof of your identity, date of birth, SSN, citizenship status, and residency. You must also submit a license renewal form along with all these.
Do you want to register your vehicle in Idaho? Here’s the info you need!
How to renew a driver’s license in Idaho
You can do an Idaho driver’s license renewal in three modes.
- By mail
How to renew in-person
Follow these steps to do Idaho driver’s license renewal in person.
- Schedule an appointment with a nearby DMV office.
- Produce documents that prove your identity, birthdate, SSN, and residency.
- Prepare to attend the driving and written tests if your license remains expired for more than 25 months.
- Pass the vision examination with or without corrective lenses. If you require corrective lenses to pass the exam, you must wear them while driving.
- Pay the renewal fees based on your age and any applicable tests.
- Get a new photograph taken.
- Then you will get a temporary paper license. You will receive the new license in around 12-14 days.
|1-year license (17 years)||$15|
|3-year license (below 17 years)||$25|
|3-year license (18-21 years)||$25|
|1-year license (20 years)||$15|
|4-year license (21 years and above)||$30|
|8-year license (21-62 years)||$55|
|Skills test||$35 (County – $6.50, Skills test examiner – $28.50)|
Way is your final destination for all your car service needs, helping you save nearly $3,000 a year. Do you need more? How about getting a gas cashback of up to 75¢/gallon?
How to renew it online
You can do an online Idaho driver’s license renewal if you fulfill the following requirements.
- The renewal period is for four years.
- Your age is between 21 and 69, and your most recent renewal was for four years or less.
- You are a citizen of the US.
- The renewal is for a class D driver’s license or identification card.
- The license is still valid or has expired for less than 25 months.
- You are not adding or removing any endorsements or restrictions.
- You aren’t changing your name.
Renewal of your driver’s license online will cost $30 plus a service fee. With online renewal, you will not receive a temporary paper license, so wait for your new license to arrive in the mail. Your new license should arrive in 12-14 days.
How to renew it by mail
You can renew your Idaho driver’s license via mail only if you are between the ages of 21 and 69 and have received an invitation from the Idaho DMV. You may renew your license by mail once every eight years if eligible. Then follow these steps to renew it.
- Fill out the application. You must apply for a 4-year or an 8-year license.
- Send the filled application, a check for the $30 renewal fee, and a $1 administration fee to the specified address.
- In around 14 days, you will receive a new license with your current photo and signature. Destroy the old license when you receive the new one.
How much does it cost to renew a driver’s license in Idaho?
Idaho driver’s license renewal costs between $30 and $60.
|Class D 3-year license (till 21 years)||$30|
|Class D 4-year license (above 21 years)||$35|
|Class D 8-year license (21-63 years)||$60|
How long does it take to renew an Idaho driver’s license?
You should get the renewed license in 2-3 weeks, depending on the renewal mode. Drivers who renew their license online should receive their new license within 12-14 business days. Those who renew in person may have to wait up to three weeks, but they will get a temporary driver’s license.
Can I renew my Idaho driver’s license early?
Yes. You can renew your license up to 25 months before it expires. Renewing early does not affect your license expiration date, so you could save time and headaches later by renewing far before the expiration date.